General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

thunping in engine compartment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Default thunping in engine compartment question

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

I just recently bought a 2005 Accord Ex coupe, 3.O V6 automatic from my father. When I took it over, I noticed when I was driving over bumps, I would hear a thumping, like it was coming from the suspension or something. I would also hear the same bumping, vibrating thumping in the morning when I turned of the car or turned if off, especially when the weather is cooler. It would thump like something was lose and then stop. The steering wheel was also vibrating when I would hit the brakes. Now I new the braking vibration was warped rotors, and took care of that by getting the rotors resurfaced. But my dad had recently replaced the front struts, and I got them checked out to make sure they were on right and not faulty and that they weren't the cause of the vibration/thumping, and they were ok. But our mechanic noticed both control arm bushings were shot, and he replaced them with oem bushings..I picked up my car in the middle of the day and it was hot, and It seemed like the problem was gone. The next morning the thumping was back, and going over bumps, even the slightest ones the thumping was back. This morning, I had my wife turn the car on and off a few times while I watched what the engine was doing. I noticed that when she would turn the car on or off, the rear motor mount would shake/vibrate up and down, once the car was being turned off especially. It was the metal part that is actually connected to the motor vibrated up and down.And the motor mount looks and feels solidly in place, in other words, the bolts are all in tight. I listened to it over and over. I did the same listening and watching the front motor mount, and the one to the left side of the car (facing the front of the vehicle, if that is a motor mount at all) were not really vibrating.

My question is, could this be the problem I am hearing? and if so does it sound like my motor mount is shot? I have seen videos where people put their car in drive or revere and I see the engine rise tremendously but I dont think my car is doing that. Of course, I haven't set my car on jacks to make sure..

My instict says to replace that motor mount and the problem will be fixed, but what do you guys think?

Thanks fellas!

Rlalinde
2005 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 automatic 3.0.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, a motor mount problem seems likely. The forward/reverse loading w/ parking brake and foot brake firmly set will allow observation of the motor mount for large movements. Sometimes you can see the torn rubber w/ a good light,...and access. Be careful.

good luck

Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks Texashonda,

So I did what you mentioned. I put my foot on the brake, and put it in reverse first..The motor moved slightly..But when I put it in drive! Geez the front of the engine moved up dramatically and it looked like the damn thing wanted to jump out!

So now that the front is moving up and down, and the back not even close to what the front is doing..Does it sound like it it's the front motor mount or the rear motor mount?

Thanks for your imput again!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the front motor mount. It's not too difficult to give a real good inspection to all the other mounts anyway.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's got to be a failed front mount. I assume this is a transverse engine, so front mount is readily visible and tear/damage should be evident.

good luck

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Yeah I will look for tears in the front, The rear and right front dont seem to have damage that I can see, but thanks for the help. I think I will start with changing the front one first. These things arent cheap, so if the front one being changed out fixes the issue, then I'm set for now..I will follow up once I have done the work this coming weekend.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

That front engine mount is vacuum-operated, so you'll have a vacuum hose to disconnect. But first check out that vacuum line...

The mount is supposed to get real soft when the engine is idling AND the transmission is in Drive or Reverse. Maybe the solenoid valve isn't working right? Maybe the vacuum line is disconnected or torn or ???? If you find something like that, fix it first just in case the $$$ mount itself is OK.