General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Unhappy Timing belt

I was tring to change out my timing belt and ran into a few probs. Well I look in the manual and it said that the bolt on the crankshaft pully was on of the hardest to get off and thats no lie. I have tried two impact guns and just busted a Craftsman Braker Bar with about a 6ft cheater bar. I can not seem to get this bolt off and ilts really bugging the heck out of me. Is there something that Im doing wrong? The pully is held on with a 19mm bolt and i dont see any pins or anything holding it in. Am I over looking something? Has anyone had this problem befroe and if so how did you overcome it?

Thnx

Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

yep the 94 was one of those years with a killer crank pulley bolt.
I use a 3/4 drive ingersoll 261 for those.
If possible maybe you could drive to a local truck garage where they have a big impact to break the bolt loose, then lightly retighten it to make it back to your shop.
The only other 'trick' I know of is to hydrolock the impact gun, and then try to remove the bolt.
Fill the impacts air motor full of air tool oil and then hook up the air and go after the bolt.

Last edited by hondadude; 09-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Well, really there is more to I then just having to change out the belt, I was just tryign to keep it short and sweet. Im not sure what the issue is with the car and I have been around here before asking questions but everything I tried got me nowhere. The car isnt driveable and Im not sure why. I dont know that it keeps jumping time on me so I was going to fix that issue first and go from there but I cant get that darn blot free to remove the cover casing.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, ya need to start off diagnostics with the basics,
you can check the timing marks by removing the top T-belt cover and look at the cam marks when the crank is at #1 TDC.
If the timing is off, check the T-belt for missing teeth, or the tensioner backed off.
Then check for spark using an old plug stuck in a plug boot,andgrounded while cranking.
There should be fuel pressure at the injector rail after the key is cycled on for a few seconds; there is a small test port bolt you can loosen to check for fuel flow.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Talking Yes He Does Know

HondaDude the newest Mod knows what he's saying, he always dbl checks his post to make sure he gives out the best information..I say he's right

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I have and lossend the blet tentioner slipped it off the belt and placed it int TDC both on crank and cam. The problem is when I start it it jumps time and runs rough backfires and dies on me. I am and getting a very rich fuel smell as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Totally new here, and I don't know if there is clearance on the Accord, but a good trick I've used on several motors to get a crank pulley bolt off is to brace a breaker bar against the body or ground, then blip the starter. Works every time. Might help here... Just be sure the breaker bar is truly braced, and won't fling off somewhere.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Honda 4-cyl (up until 2003) spin the wrong way for that technique. You'd be tightening the bolt.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Ummm, Jim are you saying that 93 and earlier is reverse thread? I kinda got lost there.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

The 93 accord crank bolt is normal thread. The engine turns the wrong way to loosen the bolt by using the starter. That method would tighten the bolt.

Quick Reply: Timing belt