General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt Again!!!

is it just that one valve that has the problem?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM

Ok I pulled the head and the same cylinder next to the trans has a really beat up piston. The valve head itself broke off in to the cylinder and beat up the spark plug the piston as well as the exhuast valve adjacent to the broken valve. Im not quite sure what to do at this point. It's looks like a rebuils or a replacement. What do you guys think? Should I replace or rebuild? Where is a good place to start looking into this? Any other comments or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Want to kill two birds with one stone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Default Rebuild or Replace?

As you know i had a valve break in the cylinder closest to the trans which damaged the piston another valve and a spark plug. I need help figuring out what to do. I want to stay with an F22A6 motor. I have no interest in upgrading to an H22 motor as this car is strictly used for economy reasons and I like it the way it was. I have done research online and will do some local research this week. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Rebuild or Replace?

First and foremost, how much moneyare youwillingto spend to fixthis engine? A real die-hard, DIY economist could probably get it running fairly well for very little money spent, but a job-well-done might be pretty expensive.

Here's some questions I'd be asking myself if I were in your situation:

DoI want to repair precisely the parts that have been damaged, or do I want to take a good labor-costopportunity togo beyond that and have a good-running engine for years? For example, ifI remove the head, willI have a two-valve valve-job performed, or willI have a complete valve job? (Was the valve seat on theheadbadly damaged? If not, rather than have the head machined, maybe Ican get adequate compression in that cylinderby turning a couplenew valves in the old seats with lapping compound between the two.)

Or, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F22A-...spagenameZWDVW

Or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...97587226QQrdZ1

Willl I remove and replace only one piston, andrepair or re-line onlyone cylinder in the block, and maybe end up with uneven overallcompression, or willI do more than that? (Was the cylinder wall scoured? If not, maybeI can get by with only a new or usedpistion andmaybe even re-use the old rings.Yikes!)

Am I going to do a complete timing belt job withnew tensioners, seals, gaskets, etc., or will I replace only the parts that I think should be replaced?

All things considered, the dollar amount on this job could be very wide ranging. To me,peace-of-mindwould bethe single mostimportant variable intheequation.

(Again, I'd also be stronglyconsidering a low-mileage OEengine/trans unit as an alternative.)

Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Rebuild or Replace?

I would like to do the best job possible. I'll spend some money on the car. All the timing belt stuff will be new, belts, tensioners and so forth. The head is pretty beat up and i dont believe it can be reused. The bad piston is really the only thing that needs to be replaced on the block. Everything else seems to be ok. Im not quite sure what I will do at this point. I need to call around and get estimates on a rebuild or a replacement. I just hope I remember where everything goes. Thanks for all who have helped.