General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Casper Young
And here I was thinking no-one had a sense of humour here. Bravo guys and of course I don't really use that crap dexron.
here's where I was going with my comment. If you have a manual transmission you know that when shifting gears the speed of the camshaft will change. This was the basis of what I was trying to say. If I'm going such and such speed, downshift and punch it my timing belt better be fit correctly or else it's going to jump a tooth or two. Correct?
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. Timing belts, even ones long past their prime do not typically skip a tooth or two; as a general rule, they stay with the correct tooth separation for the life of the belt, right up to the point where said belt give up and shreds. When that happens, unless the engine happens to be off at the moment, valves will get bent.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:52 PM

The vehicle is a 2003 Honda Accord LX, it has a V6 engine.
Did you say you ordered from Rock Auto parts?

I think I found the part you were speaking of. I have posted the link below. Please tell me if this is the part you are speaking of in your post. That it comes with great instructions too.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...jRXa0Nxw%3D%3D

Last edited by Rboye; 08-08-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Link and additional information added
Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rboye
The vehicle is a 2003 Honda Accord LX, it has a V6 engine.
Did you say you ordered from Rock Auto parts?

I think I found the part you were speaking of. I have posted the link below. Please tell me if this is the part you are speaking of in your post. That it comes with great instructions too.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...jRXa0Nxw%3D%3D
Yes, that is the correct kit for pretty much any J-Series Honda engine. While not required, I would also replace the front crank seal, both cam seals, and the oil pump gasket.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You can start & run it without the upper timing cover, but just close the valve cover. If you don't install the alternator belt, you'll have to watch for draining the battery - otherwise you don't need the external belts installed.

(That's for F-series engines, but not for 2003+ K-series engines where the external belt drives the waterpump)
I’m going to do that. Will save me time if I can see them moving and listen before buttoning up.

I'm curious about Jim Blakes comment that he can twist his timing belt about 90 degrees and that's good. I just replaced mine on my 91 Accord and I'm not sure I can do that. If the timing belt was to tight it would shred itself quickly. If it was too loose it could jump teeth if you jammed the accelerator down and torqued the engine. All in all I'd have to say good job to Slade.
Thanks very much! Honestly this forum is a huge help!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

And here I was thinking no-one had a sense of humour here. Bravo guys and of course I don't really use that crap dexron.
here's where I was going with my comment. If you have a manual transmission you know that when shifting gears the speed of the camshaft will change. This was the basis of what I was trying to say. If I'm going such and such speed, downshift and punch it my timing belt better be fit correctly or else it's going to jump a tooth or two. Correct?
I had a 95 GSR (8k rpm & I used them all). I used Honda's method with the spring, and checked it with the VW method of twisting the long span to confirm. Never threw a belt in the 10 years I owned that car.