General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tinking coming from the tire... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Tinking coming from the tire... HELP!

I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX. However, it has recently started making a tinking noise. The noise is coming from the front right tire area. It started off only doing it when i was turning left at high speeds. Now it is doing it almost all the time. What could that be? wheel bearing? cv joint? anti-sway bar bushings? i'm lost. Please help.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Bearing maybe?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

clicking when turning is almost always CV Joint

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i was thinking the cv joint too. I jacked up the car and the tire has some play side to side but no play at all up and down.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the steering wheel all the way to one side so you can look at the CV boot and joint better from one side of the wheel well, without the need to jack up the car. See if it is torn, which may have let grease out and dirt and moisture in the joint. After that, turn the steering wheel the opposite way and inspect the same CV boot and joint from the other side of the wheel well.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok i get what your saying redbull. I'll try that tomorrow. i already checked the front side of the boot and it was good but i didn't even think of checking the other side lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

When you check the wheelbearing for play, you grab & turn it like it's steering. Even with the steering-wheel-lock, the steering wheel can turn several degrees back & forth. Is that what you felt? Have someone reach into the window & actually HOLD the steering wheel while you check again.

Another oddball thing to check... Pebbles stuck behind the brake rotor - between the rotor & the splash shield? They make strange tinny grinding sounds for awhile before they work themselves out & fall to the ground.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake

Another oddball thing to check... Pebbles stuck behind the brake rotor - between the rotor & the splash shield? They make strange tinny grinding sounds for awhile before they work themselves out & fall to the ground.
I like this info JimBlake. Definetly not something I would have ever thought to look specifically for.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah thats what i felt Jim. I'll be sure to check out all these suggestions today.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the cv boot is good. it actually looks new. the car does have play side to side even when the steering wheel is being held in place.

Quick Reply: Tinking coming from the tire... HELP!