General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is this tranny fluid too bad to change or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Good automatic transmission fluid is a bright red; it looks something like the syrup they would use for a strawberry slurpy. If yours is brown and particularly if it has flecks of anything in it you need to change fluid. Unfortunately the torque converter on a Honda transmission holds a lot of fluid and apparently a lot also hangs up inside the transmission case. so you can only get about a third of it out at a time by simple draining. So to get most of the old stuff out of there it requires three changes at a minumum, which will cost your a lot more like $100+ worth of Honda's automatic transmission fluid, not twenty-five bucks.

Normally I would say that changing fluid is just a waste of time, and I still think that is the case if your fluid is clean on inspection, but your's isn't. Your's needs to be changed according to your description of it

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Dgp,
Honda automatics don't like "power-flush". Drain & fill is the way to go.

But sometimes it's just a terminology problem. Some dealers call it "flushing" when they actually do a drain & fill.

I think there's 2 problems with power-flushing a Honda transmission. First, the transmission doesn't like to have the fluid forced through with an external pump.

Second, a (non-Honda) transmission shop might use a transmission-flush machine with non-Honda fluid & possibly some solvents.
Thanks for the clarification local Honda dealer did it so I guess I'm good.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

should i replace the filter too? and how long can i usually go on this? i wont have time to do this till next weekend unless i cut some sleep.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Please add your car info to your signature line......I had to go back and re-read and then find what year this was.

The 91 does not have a servicable trans filter. Drain, wipe off drain bolt, fill......done.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a honda dealership look at the fluid and he said it didnt look too bad. it has a 50/50 chance of going out. he said he would hate to see me spend the 90 bucks for them to drain and fill and it go out a week later. so at 158500 miles and a light light pink and brown he didnt recommend it. Also he said the reason trannys go out after changing the fluid is because the old fluid is filling in gaps in the worn down metal and if its changed the new fluid goes right through these gaps. he described it in a more technical and detailed version but thats the basis of why trannys been known to go.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM

I understand that exactly. Infact it happened to my transmission at 140k. (this was on an 02).

Do not change the fluid if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
  • Delayed shifts into 1st gear after coming to a stop (like over 3 seconds)
  • harsh shifts into 1st gear when coming to a stop (makes your head bob back)
  • slipping in any gear (not to be confused with the torque converter locking and unlocking)
  • missed shifts or drop out between gears

I think your transmission is in good shape judging by what I've read. I would much rather drain and fill the transmission than let it get worse and worse.

Old fluid does not transfer heat as well as new fluid nor does it lubricate as well. If you are really worried about it drain one quart and put a fresh quart in. If that doesn't create any issues do it again after 100 miles of driving. Do that twice, if you don't experience any issues do a complete drain and fill.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I dont believe i experience any issues. it does seem sometimes theres a slight delay in shifting at first but im not sure what rpm it should be shifting at. the mechanic said he wouldn't do any drain and fill. how would i remove only one quart? when i drain doesnt at least 2 1/2 quarts come out?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM

You just have to eyeball it when draining. If you have a drain pan with markings on the sidewall that denote volume that helps. But while its draining you will have to get your hand in there with the plug and reinsert it. Then measure how much fluid you drained and replace the exact amount.

Im not sure I would listen to your mechanic. If he is the guy you have been going to he might want to deal with the money that comes from a rebuild. Be wary, I've had mechanics that I considered "friends" steer me wrong to make a couple bucks.

The transmission should have 1st engaged before you come to a complete stop (under 3-5mph) If you come to a complete stop and there is any delay before 1st gear connects then be worried. Like I said I think your transmission is fine and I would not worry about changing the fluid.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If your're patient you can siphon out the req'd amount. Remove dipstick and run 1/4-3/8 inch tubing down inside reservoir and establish a siphone to remove the fluid.

good luck

Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Or, just drain whatever comes out, then pour in one quart of new fluid, and top it off with the old fluid you just drained.

I cringe at the idea of putting old fluid back into the transmission, but if you really only want to replace one quart, that might be the easiest way to do it. Besides, the more you drain, the more sediment you will get out of the tranny ... (and you don't have to put the old sediment back in, do you?