General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trans rebuild manual??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Default Trans rebuild manual??

I restore classic 60s Cadillacs as a hobby, and a few others, and rebuild most any tranny using ATSG manuals. Literally anyone with a brain and good tools can use these guides.
So has anyone found a comparable manual/guide to rebuild the H4A family of transmission in Accords? I enjoy doing the work, saves LOTS of money and just feels good when finished. Just need a guide to know about the tricky parts going in.

Thanks to all in advance.

Joe

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by taintedsaint
I restore classic 60s Cadillacs as a hobby, and a few others, and rebuild most any tranny using ATSG manuals. Literally anyone with a brain and good tools can use these guides.
So has anyone found a comparable manual/guide to rebuild the H4A family of transmission in Accords? I enjoy doing the work, saves LOTS of money and just feels good when finished. Just need a guide to know about the tricky parts going in.

Thanks to all in advance.

Joe
You might try looking for a Helm manual for either the trans itself, or the set of manuals for your year Accord. I know my 97 Manual covered the AT in it, as does my 98-02 Accord manual from Helm Inc. As a Cadillac restorer, I'm sure you've used Helm's manuals in the past (I work on other GM's and have a couple of them as well (like for the 4LE60E and & 700R4). You can contact Helm Inc thru their web site. Helminc.com.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Thanks Toecutter. I do have some Helms for certain vehicle, ATSG for trannys, dealer service manuals for yet others. I have ordered an actual paper accord manual. Yes it was pricey but I like having a physical manual.
Reason I asked about something like ATSG is that they are geared to the true rebuilder. Lots of tips and tricks, common missteps, etc. When the manual arrives I'll check to see how in depth in gets.
One other question, since all the Accords I've owned have been wagons, is the gearing in the wagon trans different than a sedan or coupe due to weight? Hoping not cuz plan is to source a trans, rebuild it, set it aside for later install.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by taintedsaint
Thanks Toecutter. I do have some Helms for certain vehicle, ATSG for trannys, dealer service manuals for yet others. I have ordered an actual paper accord manual. Yes it was pricey but I like having a physical manual.
Reason I asked about something like ATSG is that they are geared to the true rebuilder. Lots of tips and tricks, common missteps, etc. When the manual arrives I'll check to see how in depth in gets.
One other question, since all the Accords I've owned have been wagons, is the gearing in the wagon trans different than a sedan or coupe due to weight? Hoping not cuz plan is to source a trans, rebuild it, set it aside for later install.

Anyhow, thanks again.
That I don't know, as I've never checked on it. My wife's Accord is an AT car, while my Accord is an MT car. Otherwise they look exactly the same (except color). Her's is a 2000 and mines a 99. Both are 4 cylinder 4 door LX's.