General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Shift/Lockup Solenoid Identification Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Default Transmission Shift/Lockup Solenoid Identification Question

See photo below

New solenoid in my hand, old one below. everything matches up except the shape of the filter/seals. Different year/model?

I have a '94 Accord EX VTEC 2.2l 4cyl automatic transmission. I've been tracking down some idle and shifting issues and after a ATF flush I narrowed it down to transmission solenoids. If I'm not mistaken there are 4 solenoids on the F series automatic transmissions in these cars. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
1) Shift solenoid
2) Lockup solenoid
3) Variable Valve Timing solenoid
4) Transmission solenoid

I replaced the lockup solenoid but I noticed a difference in the seal/filter shape, see picture below. Everything else lines up, the bolt holes, ATF ports, same electrical connectors, etc. I know the solenoids are make to be different shapes, sizes, and connectors to not mix them up. Does anyone know if this is just a different year/model? I drove after swapping it and it seems to have resolved my issue, just want to double check. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2023, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

The ATF has four solenoids. 2 shift solenoids and 2 lockup solenoids. The picture you show of the lockup solenoid is really 2 solenoids in one part.

The Vtec solenoid is on the cylinder head. I'm not sure what you mean by the transmission solenoid.

Where did you purchase the new solenoid?

Old 03-25-2023, 09:39 PM

Thanks! Doing more research I've seen a lockup solenoid, shift solenoid, linear solenoid, VVT solenoid. Again, novice here.
I replaced the lockup solenoid shown in the image below. I purchased the part on carparts.com - here's a link since it's super long. I thought I confirmed the part match for this year, engine/transmission but was surprised to see the difference in seal/screen shape. Again, all the ports line up and after a test drive everything seems ok. I'd just like if anyone with experience here could confirm.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

After taking another look, the "original" solenoid might be the wrong part or possibly some aftermarket part that had a different design. The picture of the new one looks like the Honda solenoids to me.

The important part is the how those gaskets seal on the transmission side The reservoir on the solenoid with the 2 holes must be sealed from the holes with the screen filters. This would essentially bypass the solenoid.

Another way I will look at parts is to get the oem part number from a site like hondapartsnow.com. Then I'll search that part number on ebay. Ebay does a nice job of having lots of pictures of the part for you to look at. I did a quick look and it looks like both styles will work.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:25 PM

Thanks so much!