General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Tick Sound When Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Default Transmission Tick Sound When Driving

Had my car at the dealer today to repair what the mechanic thought was a CV joint problem. Quoted me $225 to replace front right passenger side axle assembly. Couldnt do it that cheap myself so I told them go for it.

Long story short he replaced both sides and tick noise was still happening. He then scoped it to find the noise was coming from the transmission. Said I need a new transmission again (first was replaced ~95k under warranty by Honda dealer) since the dealership doesnt rebuild them.

Any ideas? It sounds as though I have a large screw in my tire. Starts up when I hit ~30 mph as I speed up so does the frequency of the noise. I thought this was a no brainer replace axle and done. BTW, the transmission shifts fine, no slips. I usually drain and fill ATF with Honda at every other oil change. No CEL or D4 light on either, car has 184k, transmission has 90k.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Noises can be very difficult on the web....Is it a tick or more like a "groon"....if it goes with speed, then the bearings could be in play...but I would think the dealer tech would know that.....

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM

No, sounds nothing like a bearing failing. Sounds like metal to metal contact every revolution of the axle. True it is hard to explain over web but it sounds just like a big rock or piece of metal in my tire and every time it rotates it contacts the road "tick" "quiet" "tick" "quiet" starts when I hit 30mph and above but gets faster as I speed up, just like something in the tire. Only problem is the mechanic said it is coming from inside transmission, not CV joint.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM

FYI today I thought I would shift into neutral while going down the road noise was still there without change.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

At least that might rule out the trans. Are you up to pulling the tires and inspecting the brakes?

Or, when was the last time the tires were rotated? Some places will rotate and inspect brakes for a fairly low price.....if the noise moves or does not move that could be a sign of the issue.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen strange things like a stone caught between the brake rotor & the splash-shield. But that made a horrible scraping sound, not TICK-TICK. Still, it's something to check out.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 AM

I wish it was something as simple as tire or brake issue. A second Honda dealership confirmed that is was coming from inside transmission. All I can think is some bolt inside transmission has loosened is contacting the case while spinning. It sucks because the rest of the car is so nice, just did the timing belts, full tune up, brakes and struts thought it was ready for another 100k but then this noise just started.

So how big of a job is dropping the transmission and opening it up to check inside? I am scared something is about to break loose and when it does entire transmission is toast.

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM

So I called a local transmission shop. Quoted me $275 to drop, open and diagnose problem, told me to bring it to him Monday morning. The thing I am concerned about is I told him my issue and he said off the top of his head probably a link in the chain has streched or a tooth on the sproket inside the transmission has broke. I told him the year, make & model of my vehicle and he said there was a chain inside the transmission. Chain???? I am ignorant, but wasnt aware of a chain inside, was thinking it was all direct gear to gear transfer.

I have an ALLDATA subscription and have looked at all the part explosions for transmission overhaul but havent come across any chains.

I am not going to take it to the transmission shop if the guy doing the work thinks there is a chain inside but there is not. Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Found this today online does say for V6 models but still might be issue with mine.

Automatic transmission: On V6 models, transmissions may fail due to lack of thread-locking compound on nut for low clutch. Honda/Acura has extended warranty on affected vehicles to 7 years or 100,000 miles. (1999-2002)

Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well the 98-02 Accords (Ody vans) are kind of known for trans issues.....was hoping for something better. I've heard and read different issues (this plus, second gear clutches, latest was something about no cooler flow below 1200 rpm's, ect). Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Transmission Tick Sound When Driving