General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trunk release failure 87 lxi

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Default Trunk release failure 87 lxi

Hello all.
My 87 LXI hatchback has an inoperative trunk release mechanism. The trunk opens with the key and closes fine. However the trunk release just pulls and does nothing. Should I assume a broken cable and start looking for a guide to replace that? Thanks for any advice

Old 10-01-2020, 09:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Before replacing the cable, inspect the trunk latch to see if it just needs lubrication. I’m not familiar with exactly how the release cable is attached, but I’ve seen plenty of hood latches in which the cable lever is seized or dragging and it just doesn’t fully return to the released position. The hood stays shut but the cable can’t pull the lever far enough to open it.

If it looks like this is the case, spray WD40 or equivalent on the latch and use a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to work the cable lever back and forth until it feels like it’s moving freely. Then spray a little more lube on it, shut the trunk and attempt to open using the lever in the cabin. If it works, shut and release the trunk several times to fully work the lube into the latch.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gumby
Before replacing the cable, inspect the trunk latch to see if it just needs lubrication. I’m not familiar with exactly how the release cable is attached, but I’ve seen plenty of hood latches in which the cable lever is seized or dragging and it just doesn’t fully return to the released position. The hood stays shut but the cable can’t pull the lever far enough to open it.

If it looks like this is the case, spray WD40 or equivalent on the latch and use a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to work the cable lever back and forth until it feels like it’s moving freely. Then spray a little more lube on it, shut the trunk and attempt to open using the lever in the cabin. If it works, shut and release the trunk several times to fully work the lube into the latch.
Thank you!

Old 10-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Default Fixed!

Turned out there was a little Pebble lodged in the mechanism that I was able to unearth after spraying with lubricant and working the lever back and forth I popped it out and now everything is fine!