General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Unable to program a key

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023 | 04:35 PM
Unhappy Unable to program a key

Hi everyone, I have 2019 Honda accord 2.0T. I bought it from Copart with hail damage and got it fix and nice looking. I have been driving it for more than 15 months without a problem until recently. Let me tell you whole story. So one day I mistakenly took my another spare key instead of my regular key and realized it has been disconnected. So car won’t recognize the key at all. So I came back inside and took my regular key and it worked fine like normal. A month passed by and I remember I have to reprogram my spare and ordered a key programmer. I have done key programming in the past with the car. It only came with one key from Copart to I programmed after market key and it has been my regular key since then. So this time when I was programming the key, first I reprogram the spare key and everything went smooth. It got connected to the car and I was able to use it. In my regular key which is aftermarket the unlock button wouldn’t work. So I reprogram that but unlocked button would still not work. So (THIS IS MY BIGGEST MISTAKE, I regret it every single second) I thought let me clear all the key and reprogram them together, it might work. I clear all the keys and have not been able to program any key since then. The msg says no connection between BCM and ECU. Try 5 different key programmers but none of them able to program the key. Finally took it to dealership and they said we have to replaced BCM since there’s no connection. The guy said this is first step they are not even sure if the BCM is the problem or something else. I have been without the car for more than a month now.
I don’t think it’s BCM. I think it’s something related to small device or wire, bc when I was doing the all key lost procedure after I click yes in final step there’s very low noise something like short circuit below the driver door side ac vent. I did the programming almost 20 times and every time there was same noise. I’m wondering if it’s possible to do write a key via dump and get key fob connect to the car? I’m sorry for long post and appreciate it for reading. I’m dying for help!!!

Old 05-11-2023 | 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a damaged Body Control Module (BCM).

See this service bulletin: Accord Key Fobs INOP/Vehicle Will Not Start

Old 05-11-2023 | 05:00 PM

This is exactly the issue I am having. Now I have a clear answer. Thank you so freaking much! I greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2023 | 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

This is the location of the BCM.