General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Unusual P1457

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 02:06 PM
Default Unusual P1457

Whats up all, long time lurker newbie to the forum. Picked up a 98 Accord EX manual with the 2.3. It’s had a 1457 code since I got it, and after changing the purge valve, canister, and just about every hose and line to it; i’m still getting the code. Did a smoke test today at my shop, and I’m seeing the smoke come from a super unusual spot. Next to the canister area, going toward the fuel tank theres a bolt in the frame (behind drivers rear wheel); and along the area where the 1/2 inch fuel hose goes from the round canister to the fitting thats in the frame; my smoke is actually coming out of the frame. With the fitting being in the frame, I could only imagine there being lines behind it. I saw no actual smoke coming from the tank (through the filler hole, or hoses), nor out of ANY of the EVAP components. Its all coming from the hose that goes into that frame fitting; and ALL behind the gas tank (facing the rear of the vehicle). I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, or would happen to have a diagram of whats running in the frame along these areas? I’ve searched All Data (semi-useless), and the web and haven’t been able to find anything. I appreciate the help ..

Old 08-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to make sense of the diagrams I can find, but I think it might be a vent.

Mounted on the outboard end of the EVAP canister is the vent-shut valve and it's a popular failure point. Was that a new valve with the new canister or did you put your old valve onto the new canister? Either way, did you test it's function? Even with a new valve, you might have a problem with the wiring that controls it. I think that valve closes when it's energized. You could test that with jumper wires and a MityVac.

When you test the circuit that operates this valve, remember one of the wires is energized all the time when the ignition is turned on. The other wire is switched (by the ECM) to ground when the ECM wants the valve to close.

And... This isn't really "internal engine" stuff, so I'm moving it to General Tech which is a better place for this question.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm trying to make sense of the diagrams I can find, but I think it might be a vent.

Mounted on the outboard end of the EVAP canister is the vent-shut valve and it's a popular failure point. Was that a new valve with the new canister or did you put your old valve onto the new canister? Either way, did you test it's function? Even with a new valve, you might have a problem with the wiring that controls it. I think that valve closes when it's energized. You could test that with jumper wires and a MityVac.

When you test the circuit that operates this valve, remember one of the wires is energized all the time when the ignition is turned on. The other wire is switched (by the ECM) to ground when the ECM wants the valve to close.

And... This isn't really "internal engine" stuff, so I'm moving it to General Tech which is a better place for this question.

Sorry for my post placement, i’m on mobile.

But along with a new canister, was a new vent valve. I even swapped it out for another from the parts store to ensure it was new, and even with the function test, I still got the smoke coming out. It energized when turned on (apparent by the clicks), and shut off. But the smoke still came out from the frame under the fuel tank. Super odd..

Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the valve closes properly when everything is plugged in and the car is turned on like normal? (or did you check with jumper wires?)

Did you check that the valve actually closed (holds vacuum with a MityVac)?

The hose from that valve connects to some kind of filter that might be hidden from view. Maybe remove the hose from the vent-shut valve to verify the smoke coming from the valve. If not, then the smoke is coming from some other hose or something that we still have to identify.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Check out the attachment.
I wonder if any of the hoses for the EVAP system were disconnected at some point and just stuffed into the frame because the "mechanic" didn't remember where it's supposed to go.
Going through every check in the attachment will be pretty tedious, but maybe just reading it will help you identify a hose that's out of place.

The system also includes a couple smaller hoses behind the fender liner, alongside the fuel-fill pipe. Maybe it'll help to re-do the smoke test with the plastic fender liner removed??

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gen6 P1457 EVAP tests.pdf (910.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-06-2021 at 05:52 PM.