General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Upper Distributor Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:30 PM
drcoopster
Unregistered
Default Upper Distributor Bearing

I understand that a lot of early 90s Accords have problems with the distributor bearing going. What has y'all's experience been with this? Does anybody have a failed distributor that you would be willing to send me--I am looking to see if I can find a local source for the bearing itself.

Thanks,

-Ian

Old 06-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Upper Distributor Bearing

how many miles do you have. i have 258 on my 91 and no bearing problems

Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 AM
drcoopster
Unregistered

It seems that they tend to fail rather early. My friend has a '92 Accord with something like 110K miles and his bearing just went. In researching the problem, I came across this article (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...04/ai_n8801285) and was just wondering if anyone else had the same failures.

-Ian

Old 06-11-2006, 05:15 AM

Honda had a service news on this, we used to stuff grease in the upper bearing..

get any sturdy hose, make sure it fits snuggly on the upper distr shaft, put some grease on the top bearing and with the hose push down on the grease,, what this does is,, it forces the grease into the bearing prolonging its life and avoiding noise and wear..

i did a couple dozen in the mid 90s , it worked well , it also quieted down some distributor noise coming from dry upper bearing .

Old 06-11-2006, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

Honda had a service news on this, we used to stuff grease in the upper bearing..

get any sturdy hose, make sure it fits snuggly on the upper distr shaft, put some grease on the top bearing and with the hose push down on the grease,, what this does is,, it forces the grease into the bearing prolonging its life and avoiding noise and wear..

i did a couple dozen in the mid 90s , it worked well , it also quieted down some distributor noise coming from dry upper bearing .
That was just a bandaid, they'ld be back a year later. They updated the bulletin shortly after to relace the distributor.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM

can the bearing be replaced on the distributor?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
drcoopster
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's like pulling teeth on here. I just need to know the size of the bearing; I'm not going to pull the distributor unless I have a replacement bearing to put back in because it's my friend's only transportation.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:08 PM

is it noisy??? or is it worn and the distr shaft wobbles??? chk angine lite on ?? runnubility issues ??

if just noisy , try to stuff some grease in there , if not damaged yet you will be surprised how much longer it will last ..

Old 06-11-2006, 11:29 PM

Yea, it sure can. I've seen kits sold on ebay to do it. The parts are not available from the dealer.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Yea, it sure can. I've seen kits sold on ebay to do it. The parts are not available from the dealer.

Yo Chio...... do you know if it comes with the lower inner shaft seal ?? or do you have any ideas where i can get my hands on a few of those ..??
i got a couple of customers with oil leaking inside the cap .. i would hate for them to spend all that money and replace the distr sub-assembly , when all it needs is a 2 dollar seal.

Quick Reply: Upper Distributor Bearing