General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Upper Distributor Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:05 AM
drcoopster
Unregistered
Default RE: Upper Distributor Bearing

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

is it noisy??? or is it worn and the distr shaft wobbles??? chk angine lite on ?? runnubility issues ??

if just noisy , try to stuff some grease in there , if not damaged yet you will be surprised how much longer it will last ..
Holy cow. Which part of "I just need to know the size of the bearing" did you not understand? I am a trained aircraft mechanic, I know what a stuffed bearing sounds like. And once a bearing runs dry, it's gone. Sure, repacking it might prolong the life of the bearing to an extent, but it doesn't fix it. I'm interested in fixing the problem, unlike some of those Honda shops, apparently.

Does anybody know the size of the bearing?

Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

DH,

Go easy on him ahhaha he's just a babe....lol.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I would suggest that you call the Honda Shop for that size..they are more than likely sitting there waiting for your call with a caliper in there hand to measure one for you..comom New Member, do you expect someone to know the bearing size..really!!
Unless some one in the forums is working on there unit at this time or has a bearing book sitting there they just won't know.
When You Find Out I would Like For You To Post That Measurment For Us...okay!!

WheelBrokerAng[sm=smokin.gif]
ORIGINAL: drcoopster

is it noisy??? or is it worn and the distr shaft wobbles??? chk angine lite on ?? runnubility issues ??

if just noisy , try to stuff some grease in there , if not damaged yet you will be surprised how much longer it will last ..
Holy cow. Which part of "I just need to know the size of the bearing" did you not understand? I am a trained aircraft mechanic, I know what a stuffed bearing sounds like. And once a bearing runs dry, it's gone. Sure, repacking it might prolong the life of the bearing to an extent, but it doesn't fix it. I'm interested in fixing the problem, unlike some of those Honda shops, apparently.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Yo Chio...... do you know if it comes with the lower inner shaft seal ??
The kits I saw did, but that was a few years ago.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 AM

ORIGINAL: drcoopster

A couple of things i would like to throw at you...

First of all . the purpose of this forum is to help people in need to solve their problem and give them advices to do it correctly and THE CHEAPEST WAY POSSIBLE..

when a member asks for a question i have no clue wether that member has any experience at all ..not until i get to know them will i know what kind of advices would suit him ( her ) best . So since i have no clue wether a member is an AIRCRAFT MECHANIc or a STUDENT, or THE POPE HIMSELF . at the beginning i give advices as if he ( she ) has not too much experience ..

By telling you to stuff grease in the top bearing would eliminate the noise,, it could be a month, it could be a year and some people here, rather wait than to spend the money right away . we have a lot of teen members that cannot afford too much .

you never did say that the bearing is totally shot , if that's the case you as an AIRCRAFT MECHANIC should know better than to let your friend drive the car .. it could die while driving if the upper shaft wobbles too much, as i have seen it before a few times

I am sorry for the misunderstanding and that i could not provide you with the reply to your question at this time

Old 06-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Is this the same problem as what I'm experiencing:

My distributor started to squeal quite a bit. My brother n law and I took the distrinutor cap off and found red dust. I understand this can indicate the bearing is shot. We are going to throw another distributor on.

The car has been having a tough time at idle, with it typically sitting around 500rpm. sometimes it bobs down to 200rpm and sometimes stalls when sitting at a light. I rarely see it idle at 750rpm.

I've read that the faulty bearing could relate to an idle problem, is this true or highly unlikely?

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 PM

yes it is true,, it could also lead to stalling while driving ,,

is the top distr shaft loose?? wobbles ? chk engine lite on ??

Old 06-13-2006, 06:10 PM

yes it is true,, it could also lead to stalling while driving ,,

is the top distr shaft loose?? wobbles ? chk engine lite on ??
No chk engine or wobble that I noticed, but I didn't really look for that.
We took the distributor off. Red dust in the cap. When manually turning the rotor you could hear scraping sounds. We managed to pry the rotor off with lots of effort and sprayed WD40 in the distributor which quieted it down, but that isn't the ideal fix I would imagine. Replaced the rotor, plugs, wires and cap and still have the idle and stall problem w/out the squeal.

He will put his working distributor on tomorrow to at least rule that out as a cause of my woes.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM

go to the dealer and price part # 06301-pt3-a10 this is a distributor kit for the 1991
06301-pt3-a20 for 92-93
06301-pt3-a00 for 90
the 1990 and 1991 used to come with the ignitor but not the coil
the one for 92-93 is only the distributor base