General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Urgently looking for help to open Honda Accord gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 08:35 PM
Post Urgently looking for help to open Honda Accord gas cap

Hi everyone,

So I have a Honda Accord (2007 SE) in Canada, and the gas tank cover latch release is not working. I am running a little low on gas, and need to refuel. I can also try calling a mechanic, but it's currently 9pm EST where I am and they're all closed right now.

Here's the current issue:

I am able to pull the lever up (which is inside, next to the driver) to open the trunk but pushing down that same lever (which normally would open the gas tank cover) is not working and the door isn't opening. I have searched the web for some help, and they recommend pulling a cable that's accessible from inside the trunk near the gas tank. I have tried this method, but it's not working for me.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a simpler fix (e.g. use a credit card or butter knife) to pry open the door from the outside?

Thank you for your help!!!

Old 06-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if you figured this out. You can try spraying some wd40 (or equivalent) at the lever in the car or by the trunk to hopefully free the cable. I'd avoid prying as you can damage the fuel door.

Old 06-12-2024, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Not sure if you figured this out. You can try spraying some wd40 (or equivalent) at the lever in the car or by the trunk to hopefully free the cable. I'd avoid prying as you can damage the fuel door.
+1. I occasionally preemptively use silicon spray in that area and at the cable points in the cabin and fuel filler location in order to help avoid the OP's situation. Sometimes I can tell a significant difference in the ease of opening of the filler cap after applying the silicon.

Old 06-13-2024, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have a friend that use to own a 2004 Accord (same generation as a 2007), she had a similar issue with the fuel cover not releasing. It is possible the fuel door lid latch got pushed out of alignment during a previous refueling.

The following ways did work to get the lid open on her car:

1. While pushing down the cable release, with your hand push in on the fuel lid. The fuel lid usually popped open doing it that way.
or
2. While pushing down the cable release, use something to pry the fuel lid open. We pried gently and did not damage the lid.

After the fuel lid is opened, gently adjust the latch with your hand to straighten it and see if that fixes the issue.