General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vacuuming A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I did it but don't remember how. Probably from inlet/outlet fittings. You need a rubber tip air nozzle to push in one end while blocking the outlet end w/ finger.

good luck

Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Ok I did both today. The only thing is with the evaporator I just did it from the outside on the firewall. I removed the drier and capped off the open fittings. I'll pick up the new drier tomorrow and just sit it in place because I can't open the new drier until I'm ready to vacuum, because it will fill with moisture and not be good anymore. There was no oil in any of the components, including compressor, condenser, and evaporator, the only thing in there was stop leak that I added last year. Maybe it was all mixed?

Thanks for your advise.

Im going to buy a can of ac leak dye. How exactly do I add it. I was going to add a can of freon and dye then see where it is leaking if it doesn't hold vacuum. If it does I will still add the dye just in-case.

Anything else?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM

I think you buy oil+dye w/ a small amount of refrigerant. I've never used dye.

good luck

Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM

I found that auto zone and pretty much any auto store sells just dye, but it has 2.5 oz of r134a as well. But that is nowhere near as much you need to run the system, so I would add half a can or maybe a full can of refrigerant then that dye and run it with that and see if it leaks, if it does I can find the leak if not i'll top off.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM

I have nothing to do today so I'll remove the evaporator and clean it and replace all o-rings as well. What is the correct way to clean the evaporator, soap and water, or could I use compressed air then spray it with some lysol to disinfect

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

I used Simple Green or similar. Make sure inlet/outlet are plugged to avoid introducing excess moisture. Blow or air dry.

Oil/dirt buildup may occur near orings. If you have oil/dirt on upstream side of evap, you may have an evap leak.

Careful w/ the styrofoam wrap/spacer. it's easy to damage and may be brittle w/ age.

good luck

Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM

I just finished overhauling the evaporator. It took me about 20 minutes to remove it, I took my time cleaning and replacing the o-rings that took me a little over an hour and it took me about 20-30 minutes to reinstall, the hardest part, was that I had a hard time getting the hose to go back though the rubber grommet and out the firewall.

The evaporator was in great shape only a couple bent fins, but it had a lot of leaves, pine needles, and acorns in the box.

Is there anything else I should do?

Oh yeah I also used compresses air to pop flush it again, there was a lot of oil in there.

Last edited by curtie94; 04-16-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Miss spelling leaves I spelt leaks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM

Install remaining oil required in condensor, and new receiver/drier as last item to close system.

good luck

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM

I looked and found a chart on oil amounts and it says 4oz here's link AC Compressor | Evaporator Core | Fuel Pump | Condenser | Water Pump | Clutch

Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM

I got mine by adding the separate amounts for component replacement in the OEM manual. It comes to over 8 oz. That's what I've used w/o problems, but you should decide.

good luck