General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

valve adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default valve adjustment question

I have 154k on my 95 accord 2.2 vtec and im considering getting my valves adjusted cause I can hear them starting to get alittle noisy. I was wondering if its a urgent issue to get them done like timing belts? Or can I let them go for a while till I get the time and money? What is the normal mileage to get them serviced

Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

If exhaust valves tighten, you'll "burn" a valve. This means that the edge of the valve face/contact area or the valve seat itself has become physically damaged due to the extreme heat from not fully closing during engine combustion and exhaust. You should notice power loss and harsh engine operation, depending on how many valves are damaged.

If the intake valves loosen up, you'll notice excessive noise and maybe some power loss. The larger the clearance/lash at the valve stem, the less the valve will open at the apex of the cam lobe. This means less air/fuel in the combustion chamber and power loss.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So your saying I should get it done ASAP?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Ticking noise means they might be a bit loose, that's not a panic situation. But if some of them are too tight at the same time, then you risk burning them.

This isn't a very difficult DIY job for you to do.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If valves quieten when engine fully warms, you can wait IMO. I drove a long time on a 90 Accord before I checked them and they were still very close to spec.

Jim, How does a valve gap tighten? Only mechanism I can think of would be valve seat collapsing slightly. Is that what happens? I've heard of valves tightening, but never experienced.

good luck

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure of the scenario for WHY, but I've owned a few cars with valve adjustments. Seems like I was always checking them on the 72 Datsun & 74 BMW. Even the Integra called for them something like 20k mile intervals.

The ones with threads & locknuts seem to wander just a bit in both directions. If you've adjusted them and properly tightened them, it might be the engine is at a little different temperature, or something silly like that. I've never had em move far enough to worry, and they never kept moving in the same direction over time.

A locknut could work loose. Hasn't happened to me, but that's just me. Also, it seems to me if the valve seat collapses, that just means the valve seat wasn't installed properly in the first place?

Had a couple shim & bucket type valves (VW) and those never seemed to change.

Any of them can seem to change if carbon buildup interferes with motion of the valves.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

thxs guys i just decided to get them done. dealership did them for 100$. im gonna try them myself next time. along with a doing my timing belt my self. but the mechanic told me the clearanace was almost double what they were supposed to be, which im guessing isnt a real good thing. but she seems to be alot more quiet now, hopefully she should be good for another 100k