General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Valve Cover Gasket

I have oil leaking out from between the valve cover and the head, so I'm assuming thats the valve cover gasket; It's not leaking a substantial amount, only when ran at extremes, which is most everyday.

Also, the top radiator hose, where it meets the metal receiving peice meets the engine has a gooey substance leaking out; it looks like oil but its really thick. I'm wondering about this one because i wouldnt think oil in my water system was a good thing.

I am wanting to know about these two items and exactly how dangerous each can become, so i can buy new gaskets and fix the problem.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Valve Cover Gasket

ORIGINAL: PIGGEBANK

I have oil leaking out from between the valve cover and the head, so I'm assuming thats the valve cover gasket; It's not leaking a substantial amount, only when ran at extremes, which is most everyday.

Also, the top radiator hose, where it meets the metal receiving peice meets the engine has a gooey substance leaking out; it looks like oil but its really thick. I'm wondering about this one because i wouldnt think oil in my water system was a good thing.

I am wanting to know about these two items and exactly how dangerous each can become, so i can buy new gaskets and fix the problem.

Thanks
does the oil accumulate on the rear side of engine driver side of car ?? if so,, i would replace the vpve cover gasket,, but it could also be a leaky cam seal.. anyho.. replace the v.c.gasket, clean everything up real good and see if it stopped the leak

the other leak could be coolant ,, could be a bad hose , loose clamp. or bad seal at top rad hose bracket where it meets the head ,, pressure thest the cooling system. and see if leak appears ,, it will give you a better idea