General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water leak underneath car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

The coolant for the a/c system is R134a, which is a gas. You would not get a puddle of water under your car if the evaporator was leaking.

You may want to check that rubber hose for debris that may be partially clogging it. That would cause the water coming out to have higher pressure, sort of like pinching a garden hose. You might want to use a pipe cleaner.

You may also want to check your cabin air filter. Replace the cabin air filter if it is very dirty.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 PM

Has anyone figured out what is causing this water leak?
I have a 2010 EX-L and get a regular leak on the passenger side, just under the dash.
It happens pretty regularly. Usually there's a puddle of water left in my garage.
But i haven't gone under to see exactly where it's coming from. I'm not too worried, since it's still under warranty. But i need to know if I need to take it in or not.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cableguynoe
Has anyone figured out what is causing this water leak?
I have a 2010 EX-L and get a regular leak on the passenger side, just under the dash.
It happens pretty regularly. Usually there's a puddle of water left in my garage.
But i haven't gone under to see exactly where it's coming from. I'm not too worried, since it's still under warranty. But i need to know if I need to take it in or not.
There is no "figuring out" to be done; what you're seeing is the water which has been condensed out of the air as it is being cooled. Literally every car with an operable air conditioning system does the same thing.

Last edited by shipo; 02-04-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

However, if the water is inside the car...there is an issue.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
There is no "figuring out" to be done; what you're seeing is the water which has been condensed out of the air as it is being cooled. Literally every car with an operable air conditioning system does the same thing.
This makes sense. But it just seems like a LOT of water. I don't usually see this much water under other cars. That's why I was concerned.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cableguynoe
This makes sense. But it just seems like a LOT of water. I don't usually see this much water under other cars. That's why I was concerned.
Fact of thermodynamics; the warmer the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) the greater the amount of water vapor said air can hold in suspension.

Running your A/C on a fifty degree day with low relative humidity (which you might do when the sun is blasting through the windows and cooking the inside of the car) will generate little if any water, however, if the OAT is high and the relative humidity is up near one-hundred, then your car will condense gallons of water per hour while keeping the inside of your car cool (and dry).