General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird Engines Help ASAP please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Weird Engines Help ASAP please

Rhetorical question? I can't help you here.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 02:45 PM

I was to get a new igntion switch could I use the old core so I can use the same key?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Ignition switch assy and key lock assy are separate, so keys are not affected.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 PM

[align=left]Hey Texas I apreciate all the help youve given me thanks
One more question question though. Since I got a manual do I got to get the keyswitch for a manual or would a automatic work since Ive still got to swap the key cores?
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 PM

The wiring diagram doesn't describe any difference in switch for MT or AT. There is a different setup in the underdash fuse/relay box.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 PM

[align=left]Where could I find this wiring diagram?
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 05-27-2007, 01:43 AM

When the key switch went out in my 1990 accord I had to drive 100 miles with my hand on the key turning it slightly to keep contact. It was a long drive home. Good news though, the key assembly was different from the switch assembly. The replacement part came with the switch assembly and the wiring harness that routed fromt he key in the steering column all the way to the connection under the driver side dash. I didn't even need to replace the key. I don't know if the 1994's are the same way. but it was a simple repair.
I had a similar experience when the coil pack went out. The car would APPEAR to run because it was in gear but the rpm's would quit and the car would lose power. Sometimes I would sit for several minutes and then it would start again. But everytime the rpm guage would quit. I hate it when problems are intermittent because they are so difficult to diagnose.
Good luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Wiring diagram is in the Honda Accord Shop Manual. You can download the 94-97 Accord manual from http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/.

good luck

Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Drpepper
[/align]
When the key switch went out in my 1990 accord I had to drive 100 miles with my hand on the key turning it slightly to keep contact. It was a long drive home. Good news though, the key assembly was different from the switch assembly. The replacement part came with the switch assembly and the wiring harness that routed fromt he key in the steering column all the way to the connection under the driver side dash. I didn't even need to replace the key. I don't know if the 1994's are the same way. but it was a simple repair.
I had a similar experience when the coil pack went out. The car would APPEAR to run because it was in gear but the rpm's would quit and the car would lose power. Sometimes I would sit for several minutes and then it would start again. But everytime the rpm guage would quit. I hate it when problems are intermittent because they are so difficult to diagnose.
Good luck!
hmmm funny you should say that....
so what is this coil pack you speak off?
thats exactly what my car is doing but do 94 ex have coil packs? is it inside the distributor? sorry i'm pretty new to these cars

update I just wiggled the living daylights out of the keyswitch as the car was on and nothing happened, could it be the coil pack? Still cant find what that is though.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM

coil pack typically refers to either an individual coil in a coil on plug set up or several ignition coils in single box. Niether one is applicable to you. the fact that your dash does not light up sometimes, leads me away from your ignition at any rate.

Main relay or ignition switch I agree are likely the culprit.

If you pull hte main relay and pop the cover off of it, check all the solder joints for cracks. Hondas are notorious for having the main relay go bad for just that reason.

[align=left]This is what one of my friends wrote to me what do you guys think?
Well after visiously wiggling my keyswitch and nothing happening i'm learning that my car doesnt have a coil pack im leaning towards the main realy. Well im hoping to find out soon and hope this helps future members.
[/align]