General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird problem when i pressed the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 AM
Default Weird problem when i pressed the brakes

(i own a 1989 honda accord lxi A/T fuel injected) I was driving home tonight and all of the sudden when i pressed the brakes to slow down ALL of the lights in my car flashed off and on. My headlights,dash lights,radio. If i had power it flashed. This only happened when i first started pressing the brake. I could hold in down amd let go and everything was find,but everytime i pressed down everything would flasg off and then back on. What the heck?? I got home and checked for everything that might be bad. I looked for a possible bad fuse,checked for loose battery wires(which i did tighten the positive abit) looked around for possible fryed wires...but i see nothing wrong. Not sure what the problem would be. This doesn't just happen. Any possible ideas?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Try to isolate the problem...

1) Start car, and press on brake WHILE IT IS STILL IN PARK. Do the lights flash off?
2) Drive around, do the lights flash of on the highways when you push the brakes? do they flash off when you are coming to a stop or ONLY on the highways?

The purpose of doing this is to see if car movement causes the problem or not.

So you're saying, ONLY when you first press on the brakes, the lights flash off just for an instant and then comes back on?
Try pushing it down several times like you are pumping the brakes. Does it flash EVERY time?

Without knowing the results, I would suspect a wire problem just above the brake pedal, like the wires that go the the brake light switch on the brake pedal.
Or lose wires that got exposed from rubbing on the brake pedal somewhere.