General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Default What is this part called?

I need to find out what this part is called, the number on box is 90310, it is on right passenger side infront of tire, and the airfilter is on top of this box, I think the air from the engine or filter goes thru this box and then out? I have a 99 Honda Accord, I tried to look it up internet but it keeps coming as a bolt. Which it is a box. Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

This thing?

It's a resonator chamber. It makes the air suction quieter - kinda like a muffler for the intake.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM

YES!!! that is it. What is it? I am a woman so I dont know about cars. it fell off and cracked after an accident and I need to replace it

Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 PM

oops sorry you posted is was a resonator chamber, is it bad to be driving the car without it on? Like will it damage the engine

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM

One last question, would that part, being broken when it was attached, be the reason my car wouldnt pass smog?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Is your car a 4 or 6 cylinder? Did it have high NOX emissions to fail the smog test?

That resonator chamber has a U-shaped tube inside, so air is pulled into the engine near the battery (from #5 in the picture). Without the resonator chamber, your car could pull water into the engine if you go through a puddle or in heavy rain and would likely damage your engine

You would not gain much by buying a new one. I would pick up one from a junkyard. It looks like it is held in by two bolts from the picture, so it shouldn't be hard to replace. It depends on how the resonator chamber fell out. See if the plastic broke on the chamber or if the bolts got ripped out of the metal sub-frame that it bolts into.

If you can post a picture of the damage of the passenger side fender and where it bolts in, we can give you a better idea of how difficult it will be to install it.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 PM

4 cyclinder and I dont know what a NOX emmision test is. I just took it to the state run smog guy here in Oregon. Will my nephew have to remove the front bumper? I will take a picture not sure of the bolts will look. He was orginally putting the bumper back on and once he got it back on the reasonator chamber fell off. Then we noticed it was broken with a whole on the side.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Ok here it is

Attached Thumbnails What is this part called?-102_0570.jpg   What is this part called?-102_0571.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

The bumper should not need to be removed to do this. The plastic splash shield that goes around the wheel well will need to be removed on the side that bolts to under the bumper. The bumper may limit how much room you have to tighten down the bolts.

The smog test (emissions) usually measures three items from your exhaust: carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), and nitrogen oxides (NOX). They should have given you a printout of the level of all three from your car and which one was too high to pass the emissions test. Or they would have given you values for each that would have allowed your accord to pass the test.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 PM

yes it gave me a number dont remember it off hand will have to find it, it was awhile ago something like v02 or something to the effect that the gas cap wasnt on tight but it was on tight. Before the first accident it was fine with smog but after the first accident then the engine light stayed on. couldnt reset it either. So after the 2nd one (no I wasnt driving both times lol) and that part had a big whole in it I thought maybe thats why it didnt pass smog

Quick Reply: What is this part called?