General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by nomad2020
has the car overheated in the near past?? white smoke could be an indication of a blown head gasket ,, have you checked coolant for possible coolant leak? About the smell,
can you see any leaks at all in engine compartment ?? oil, coolant, etc etc
Follow what Nomad is stating. I don't know where my mind is today.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I too have had a oil light due to shortage a couple of times in the last few years and my oil change interval is every 7500 miles. All I do is add 4 3/4 qts with and additive every other change and haven't had the issue come back up.

I would stick to 5w20 and add liqui moly oil saver every other change (equals out to once a year) and you should be good. I have been using that additive in all my cars for years and never had an issue. I started using it because of a BMW I had with an N63 engine which was notorious for oil consumption. I never had the issue but a lot of others did. I figured me adding that additive from when the car was new saved me from the headaches everyone else had.
okay.
what could be the problem in my case now..

Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nomad2020
has the car overheated in the near past?? white smoke could be an indication of a blown head gasket ,, have you checked coolant for possible coolant leak? About the smell,
can you see any leaks at all in engine compartment ?? oil, coolant, etc etc
no i have not experience overheat before, the car runs very well. I have checked no leakage of coolant or oil..only leakage is that of the power staring pump.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Man Eleojo Usman
no i have not experience overheat before, the car runs very well. I have checked no leakage of coolant or oil..only leakage is that of the power staring pump.
please i need your help

Old 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM

please i need your help
I had thick white smoke for minute or so after take off, never lost coolant, but car ran little rough, mine was valve related, and unburnt fuel, no chunks on piston, so valve must of slowly arced a hole on outside edge of valve,, white smoke at take off , sm backfires rest of trip at take off,, backfires made holes like they burnt. If I did compression test when advised, would of known my head was messed up,
the plug looks like it's burning, but was so severely fouled wasn't arcing at all. Cleaned the plug, looks like arcing, but then timing belt snapped. bent 6 valves, that's # 2 intake valve.
Hmm yours only does it in reverse, not uphill, doesn't backfire, little small backfires, hickups?
compression test?
good luck.

Last edited by mrg2065; 09-18-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:48 AM

My 2006 honda accord 4cyd is giving out cloud white smoke from exhaust with something smells.when runing the car
Traditionally visible smoke from car after it is warmed up (like 5 minutes) is:
1. black smoke = engine running rich / too much fuel to burn completely so soot comes out the exhaust (hasn't happened much since cars moved away from carburetors [1980 here])
2. light blue tint smoke = burning oil (no special smell in my experience)
3. white smoke, with sweetish smell = burning engine coolant (caused by failed head gasket)

With a Subaru I had a failed head gasket (common problem with that brand) and just kept adding distilled water to the radiator for ~3000 miles (was on other side of the continent) until I could get it back home.

hope this helps, luck!

EDIT: relevant thread
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-smoke-47898/

Last edited by UhOh; 09-19-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I would stick to 5w20 and add liquid moly oil saver every other change (equals out to once a year) and you should be good.
The original poster mentions the city of Lagos, so he's in Nigeria, which is a hot country year round.
I imagine you meant to enter 5w-30 oil, but in any event his current white smoke problem, with smell, would likely not be oil related.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
The original poster mentions the city of Lagos, so he's in Nigeria, which is a hot country year round.
I imagine you meant to enter 5w-30 oil, but in any event his current white smoke problem, with smell, would likely not be oil related.
Yep. I stated my error later in the thread. Thanks