General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Why is my car pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I've heard "pinging sounds" from idler bearings (AC pulley, tensioner, Alt) on accessory belt, loose heat shields. These possibilities are much more likely than engine pre-ignition pinging.

good luck
Preignition and Detonation/Pinging are two very-very different things. Consider the following:
  • Detonation, also known as Pinging, occurs long after (in relative terms) the spark event when small pockets of end gas combust due to pressure and heat (and/or unstable/low octane fuel), instead of waiting for the flame front to burn its way across the combustion chamber. Mild to moderate detonation is considered good, and many ignition systems keep engines on the razor edge of insipient detonation.
  • Preignition, is just what it sounds like, ignition of the intake charge *before* the spark event. Preignition is always harmful to the engine in that it will result in a ruined motor within a matter of just a few rotations.

Last edited by shipo; 03-27-2015 at 09:16 AM.