General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 AM
Default RE: Windshield Crack

Where do you live & what kind of insurance do you have? Here (in Ohio) if you have comprehensive insurance, they're required to cover windshields for free (no deductible). If you live somewhere else, it'sa good question for your insurance agent.

[/quote]

Jim, I am from Ravenna originally, Portage County between Akron and Canton, I was at Kent State the day of the shootings back in the Nam days, giving away my age now. What parts you from Sir.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Looks like he is in Los Angeles. Call your insurance agent. AnOTC claim normally will not cause your rates to go up.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2POINTautO

Jim, I am from Ravenna originally, Portage County between Akron and Canton, I was at Kent State the day of the shootings back in the Nam days, giving away my age now. What parts you from Sir.
I'm in that same general area. But not back that far - I AM old enough, but I was in Wisconsin during Nam.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM

Wow Sorry for the delay response guys. I've been busy with school.

Yeah I live in Los Angeles and I will call my insurance agent soon. The crack grew another 4-6 inches and I'm scared of it shattering my in face when I'm on the freeway.

/quote
If you report it to your insurance company, even if the repairs are less than the deductible, they will still likely get the cheapest price for you(insurance companies know how to get discounts)- unless you have State Farm /q

Oh no... I do have State Farm andits not a full coverage plan. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM

The reason I said that is because around here(MS) State Farm overpays for windshield replacements. They actually pay more than you wouldif you got it done yourself without them. I do not understand why. They may not be the same in Cal though.
Call your agent and find out what your deductible is if you have OTC(Other Than Collision) Coverage (Some may call it Comprehensive coverage). Also find out if they waive the deductible for windshield replacements. Make sure you tell them it is a replacement not a repair. If you do not have OTC or Comprehensive coverage you are on your own.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Ok I called my agent and she said I dont have OTC/Comprehensive... I guess I'll just have to wait till my next pay check xD. So I should just find a windshield at a junkyard and have a mech install it for me or is installing it fairly easy (I hope so)? haha. Another way is just for the mech to do everything but would it be more than 200+?

Old 10-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Call Diamond Auto Glass. That's likely what the mechanic would do and add a little charge for his efforts.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Hmm I thought i made another post today... O well...

Anyway I called my agent and I dont have OTC/Comprehensive coverage so its up to me. I've been doing some online hw for repairs and I saw some websites that can repair up to 18 - 24 inch cracks? I was told by other people that its impossible to repair the glass if its huge. Is that any good? I have a 8 inch crack now in the shape of an S rotated 90 degrees. Will they be able to fix that or will it just end up cracking some more. It was about 70 bucks total (online quote so who knows what it is when i get there) and 160 dollars for replacement total (online quote as well). I was wondering, if I can be repaired will there be noticeable marks or will it be good as new. I just dont want it to continue to crack and shatter in my face when im on the freeway. Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Call any glass repair facility and ask them how much would it be to install a used glass. Do this with several facilitiesso you can find a reasonable price.You should be able to get it done for$150. If not, call more glass places.
Or you could call salvage yards and ask for a usedglass for your car, find out how much it is, thencall glass shops and ask how much for them to install it. If you provide the glass, they shouldn't chargemore than $50 or so for labor. A "glass kit" will run another $20 or so. You should be able to get a used glass for around $80. So my math= $80(glass)+$20(kit)+$50(labor). Windshield installation requires special tools and sealers to keep it water tight and sealed so it won't be falling out. I would not attempt it myself.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM

I do not see how in the crap they could repair it if it is that bad already. I don't believe it. They cannotmake the crack disappear unless they have some new magical machine that I am unaware of. maybe they have some pixies and elves riding around on unicornsdo the work for them[:-]. JK.
If I were you I would replace it.
$160 for a replacement is not too bad. I would call around and see if I could get a better price first, but I would pay $160 for a replacement.

Quick Reply: Windshield Crack