General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Default RE: Windshield Crack

Ok thanks! Yeah I was wondering how they would make the crack disappear. I'll go with the glass replacement. Thanks much!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

even with a glass torch it is very hard to weld a glass seam to make it disappear and it doesn't work with tempered glass ..... not to mention that it wouldn't be tempered afterward ...... also, auto-glass has plastic on and in it to prevent shattering ..... that would be toast.

The only glass fix that I've seen that I think is worth anything are the syringe looking things that you pump and leave stuck to the glass for a few hours. Also, they're only good for a chip with a mark smaller than a quarter.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

The only glass fix that I've seen that I think is worth anything are the syringe looking things that you pump and leave stuck to the glass for a few hours. Also, they're only good for a chip with a mark smaller than a quarter.
That is what my dad used to do for a living back in the early90's when he was between jobs. That was before those repairs were as common as they are today.
You described almost the exact process. Except you drill out the middle of the rock peck first, then squirt the chemicals in with a syringe, then put the suction cup thing on there and leave it for a while, then put another sealant chemical on, then take a razorblade and smooth off the excess.
As you said, it will not work for anything as big as a quarter, but it works extremely well for small pecks. Sometimes you won't even be able to tell they are there unless you really look for them.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Yeah repairing the glass seems pointless. I don't want to deal with this again and again. Thanks for all the advice guys. Everyone is so helpful here. I love it!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 AM

it cost me 256 installed for a new windshield on an 07 accord back in august. it was aftermarket glass, not oem

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

it cost me 256 installed for a new windshield on an 07 accord back in august. it was aftermarket glass, not oem
not bad for a new glass - OEM or not

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM

I think my last windshield was around $220. My last company paid for it since it broke when a semi kicked up a rock during a drive to Stamford, CT for a survey. The plumbing engineer that was with me looked like he was scared that the rock was going to smash him in the face. It hit pretty hard at 70 mph and it took a chunk the size of a quarter out of my glass. The lizard people told me that I have a $500 deductible on the windshield, so I asked them to erase any record of the report and that my company would have to shell out the money for the full repair.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My dad's 01 accord just had a huge crack running down from the top to about half way. Gonna be $145 to replace it. The guy at the shop said the glass is new and theres a cheaper one for $130 that is lower quality glass. Is $145 reasonable for a new windshield or is he probably lying and it's really a used one. I'm gonna be there when he replaces the windshield so is there anyway I can tell if he's doing a good job sealing up the windshield while he's doing the work or is the only way to know spraying water on it after he's done?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM

used.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah makes sense. I called the honda dealer and they sell the OEM windshield for $400 and another $75 for the modding kit. Looks like I'll just go with the used one.

Quick Reply: Windshield Crack