General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield wiper pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Default Windshield wiper pump

1998 accord.
Long story short, my daughter said the wiper and the windshield washer does not work. 30 A fuse was OK.
I changed the wiper motor and it works. but not the washer pump. I do not get voltage to the washer pump when the switch is turned on.

I am suspecting the washer switch may be bad.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Could be a broken blk/yel wire between the switch and the washer pump.

You could unplug the washer switch and jump pin A7 (green/black) to pin A1 (black/yellow). If the pump turns on, then you pretty much confirmed the switch.

That blk/yel wire also goes to the driver's multiplex control unit. It is possible that the driver's MICU is grounding out the blk/yel wire.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:54 PM

I looked at the wiring diagram and did some manual tests.

1) Low and high speed wiper works.
2) Washer and INT does not work. When I looked at the wiring diagram, A7 is the common culprit.

So my next hunch is the switch is bad, or the wire from A7 to ??? is open or shorted.

The more I look at the switch diagram, the more I am suspecting the switch.

When I look at the manual, do I REALLY need to remove the air bag and steering wheel?
Can't I just remove the steering column cover and access/remove the wiper lever?

Old 11-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if the steering wheel and airbag need to be removed. They didn't on my 95 accord that is similar to the 98.

Try removing the steering wheel cover to see if you can access everything necessary without taking out the other items.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
1998 accord.
Long story short, my daughter said the wiper and the windshield washer does not work. 30 A fuse was OK.
I changed the wiper motor and it works. but not the washer pump. I do not get voltage to the washer pump when the switch is turned on.

I am suspecting the washer switch may be bad.

Any other ideas?
On my wife's 2000 Accord, shortly after we bought it, the washer pump died. I replaced it with a Zone pump, and it's been there working fine for the last almost 6 years. Sometimes parts fail.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Tonight I plan to check the Wiper switch by removing it and checking continuity between A2-A7 (INT) and A1-A7 (washer).
If it is open, (when I turn the switch), then I know it's bad. If they are short, then I plan to test the intermittent relay.

If I can't find anything, then I am planning to replace the Mutliplex control unit. I see this is part # 38800-S84-A03, but it seems to be discontinued.
I also see 38800-S84-A06, but some online stores say it is not for a 1998, while others say it is.
Which is it? I almost think the "06" version is simply an updated version of the "03" that is compatable.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you don't have the A06 in your car it will not work. The part number has to match for it to work for you.

If you're looking for new eBay has it. For that much I would try and find it used.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Problem solved...

1) You can take the wiper lever/switch out without removing the steering wheel. Just turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the right. It gives you enough room to remove the screws.
Switches tested OK.

2) checked all the fuses and found #7 fuse blown. That happens to be for the washer pump. I put a new one in and everything is working.
I had already replaced the pump yesterday, but it didn't work because the fuse was open.
So I must have has a bad washer pump that blew the fuse in the first place and therefore prevented the wipers from working when trying to wash the windshield.

What I don't understand is why a blown #7 fuse prevents the INT wiper from working.

So all is well that ends well.