General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wiring harness issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I attempted to pull the codes from the car using the instruction in the previous link to no avail. Apparently the 04 accord doesn't have an onboard diagnostic system of that nature. I looked in my Haynes Repair Manual also and it does not mention it either. I would have to take it to a dealer to make certain the scanner is set up to make proper diagnosis. I guess my next move is to do that but I would think that would'a been done first thing they did when I took it in before. It took them 2 day to find the issue at the cluster/ harness connection so I would think they would'a scanned it first thing.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Does this have auto HVAC control.....can you pic out what your controls look like from these pic's?

Attached Thumbnails wiring harness issues-7th-gen-hvac-code-ret-non-auto.jpg   wiring harness issues-7th-gen-hvac.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 04 lx

yeah, the first one looks like mine. Is that the instruction to do the diagnosis? I performed the diagnosis described in that diagram and when I held the re-circulation button and pressed the rear defrost 5 times the re-circulation button blinks a couple times and the vent light (next to max ac) went out and the ac button light and defrost light come on and the blower started blowing... after a few second the ac and defrost lights went out, the blower stops and the vent light (next to max ac) comes back on.

It didn't seem to blink out any coded diagnosis, what do you think? Thanks for going above and beyond to help me. Thanks also for serving our nation.

Last edited by poorman212; 10-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I made an edit to the subject line because I couldn't remember what year we are dealing with....please your car info to your signature line.

Yes those are the instructions on how to get the codes without HDS. Sounds like the system was going thru the testing (blower comes on and a few other things), where you holding the buttons the whole time? Also the temp read out is where any codes will show up - you look for which segment of the read out lights up....again everything could be fine....we are just wanting to be sure.

Last, that is a picture of my oldest son. It was taken the day he graduated from Officer Candidates School (OCS) USMC, military base Quantico VA....lets just leave it at that as you do not want to know the rest of the story.

Attached Thumbnails wiring harness issues-7th-gen-hvac-codes-segments-letter.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 04 accord lx

yeah, I held the buttons down till well after it stopped doing its thing.... Mine doesn't have a temp readout though.
I come from a military family but I quess you could say I am the black sheep as my wife, brother, and sister are all veterans of recent wars. I have lost a son also but not to war. I don't know your situation but I find some comfort in knowing my son is in a better place.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, sounds like you have manual HVAC controls - no digital read out on temp.....give me a bit somewhere I have those....or someone else might chime in with the answer.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about this....it is a check to be sure the wires don't "fry" again.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i got a new cluster and the end of the harness, soldered the new end on to the existing wire harness, heat shrinked the connections and it seemed to have fixed the problem. The gauges all work and the AC works great. Thanks for all the input on this issue. Hopefully it gives me many more miles with this fix.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up....