General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wiring a light bar to the high beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Default Wiring a light bar to the high beams

I have a 2000 honda accord ex v6 and want to wire a 2 wire light bar into the high beams. I am having difficulty doing this and understanding the wiring procedure. I have a 5 pin relay and don't want to have to wire in a on/off switch in the cab if I don't have to, just have it controlled by the high beams. I have searched through these forums and googled it for information on how to do this, but I am having no luck. Super moderator redbull-1 seems to know how this works or if anyone else can explain to me how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Streeter09

Old 01-27-2021, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

The high beams are triggered by ground coming from the headlight switch to the separate headlight relays. You want to run power in parallel to the light bar; for example by using a four pin "normally open" relay; this can also be triggered by the same ground coming from the headlight switch.

Refer to Example 2 in this link: https://www.swe-check.com.au/editori...ing_relays.php

You can splice into the orn/wht wire at terminal no. 4 of Connector C202 and connect to relay pin 85. Connector C202 is located behind the glove box. The orn/wht wire will provide the ground trigger to the new relay for the light bar.

You should add a fuse on the power side going to the light bar.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-27-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:40 AM

Thanks redbull-1 for the information. I will buy a 4 pin open relay and a fuseable link and try and tackle this this weekend. I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks again,
streeter09

Old 01-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Red bull-1. Can you draw me a diagram for dummies. Last night I tried to wire the light bar in following your instructions but had no luck. The light bar worked on the high beams like I wanted but when I shut the car off the light bar would come on. I don't want to have to wire a seperate switch to control this. So I then wired it a different way and it works great except for now it is on when the daytime running lights are on. Any help on this would be appreciated.

streeter09

Old 01-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, your Accord is a Canada model with DRL; so, the high beam circuit is different than US models. What is likely happening is that when you shut the car off, ground (-) is being sent either from the DRL Control Unit and/or the passenger multiplex control unit.

1. I would think after a short period of time, the ground signal will be removed.
2. You may have to change where the ground trigger to the relay starts from. One possible solution may be to connect the ground trigger before the passenger multiplex unit and DRL control unit, possibly near the combination light switch wire. It is the Blu/Red wire at terminal no. 4 of light switch harness. To make it work the way you want, it may even be necessary to cut the Blu/Red wire and add a diode (to only allow the flow of the ground in one direction). Then you would splice into the Blu/Red wire before the diode.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-30-2021 at 11:49 AM.