General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Are You an Expert? Get in here! (Please)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Are You an Expert? Get in here! (Please)

I just thought about something:
You don't happen to know what kind of spark plugs are in your engine do you? the reason I ask is that Bosch spark plugs have been known to fry ignition coils in Honda engines. Spark plugs should be NGK(preferable) or Denso (if NGK not available)

Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM

FWIW, from memory I paid around AUD$180 (thats Aussie $) just for an igniter (from Honda). I'm sure it would be significantly cheaper in USD$, but even so USD$185 sounds very cheap for a whole distributor...

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM

The fact that the issues are subsiding a bit with colder weather lead me to believe two things (both of which have been asked...): 1) you have bosch spark plugs in there 2) the coil is causing your issues but it's not the coil itself....

Here's why I say that: I've seen this before on a friends 91 or 92 accord (can't recall) the issue was that he had bosch plugs in there, the improper resistance of these plugs caused the coil to overheat (fried it once or twice too...) so your plugs are causing the coil to heat up and stop working but now that it's colder outside it takes much longer to do that. Pull out a spark plug, if it does in fact say Bosch throw it away and replace with NGK's...

Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hey!!! There's our expert .... though he'll deny it. Everything SN mentioned seems very likely. Even if the plugs are not Bosch, if they are anything other than NGK or Denso, I could forsee the same problems ..... these are the only 2 recommended brands for the stock ignition system.

Hey SN? Did you get my PM? Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM

expert my rear.... I'm far from that.... there's at least 3 people on here that I know are certified Honda techs (master techs no less I believe....) those are the experts..... working on your PM right now...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... thanks Nate!!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnL

FWIW, from memory I paid around AUD$180 (thats Aussie $) just for an igniter (from Honda). I'm sure it would be significantly cheaper in USD$, but even so USD$185 sounds very cheap for a whole distributor...
Dang man, that's steep. You can buy a genuine Honda igniter here for $74.44: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...1%29+%28TEC%29

Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 PM

from that price i'd stay it was the just the dizzy and not the guts. the dizzy comes with sensors that can't be replaced, so may he thought those were the problem and not the ign. system?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

The fact that the issues are subsiding a bit with colder weather lead me to believe two things (both of which have been asked...): 1) you have bosch spark plugs in there 2) the coil is causing your issues but it's not the coil itself....

Here's why I say that: I've seen this before on a friends 91 or 92 accord (can't recall) the issue was that he had bosch plugs in there, the improper resistance of these plugs caused the coil to overheat (fried it once or twice too...) so your plugs are causing the coil to heat up and stop working but now that it's colder outside it takes much longer to do that. Pull out a spark plug, if it does in fact say Bosch throw it away and replace with NGK's...
I'm not saying you're wrong and that it isn't the coil or plugs, but keep in mind that old leads can have a high resistance and that the symprom still fits at least my understanding of what can happen with a marginal igniter, so it might be any of these things?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 AM

back around thanksgiving my 92 craped out. i was drivin along sitin ata light ilding fine. attempt to take off. and it stalled out and wouldn't start back. i thought it was fuel, bc it had been "studderin" while shifting at low speeds. me and my tech (20 yrs at honda dealer, now freelance) we went through the hole thing. fuel good. wasn't gettin spark. put new plugs, bc i fouled the originals. my car has an external coil so he thought it was the ignitor. we checked it didn't pass the test. got and autozone ignitor worked for about 15 min the died. then got a oem ignitor and couldn't get it to start at all. i then got a coil and a cap for good measure and cranked right up.

the ignitor don't always come with the distributer. you can get away with parts store parts but as each day goes along i become more a fan of honda oem parts. its like that oil filter comercial " pay a lil more now or alot later"

Quick Reply: Are You an Expert? Get in here! (Please)