Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

99 Accord intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Default RE: 99 Accord intake

ORIGINAL: ford

to Vipers4Life...

thats also a good one...Injen also makes great products...to answer your question if intake system increase or decrease mpg, it really depends on the driver...if you are one of those drivers who abuse the added power from that intake system, then ofcourse you will get WORSE gas milage...but on the other hand, if you have that intake system and just drive normally/safely, then you would enjoy the increase in your mpg..
Hmmm.

I always thought if you increase the air coming into the throttle body (Larger intake), the ECU must compensate and increase the fuel intake for proper mixture. Thus, creating more power.
Last time I checkes.
More air/fuel mixture = more power = less MPG
You will lower your MPG's but not by much since you'll only be gaining about 3-4 additional HP

Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM

Idk ive heard that you do gain a little if any mpg but it makes really no difference. Im buying the AEM cause im not cheap when it comes to this stuff. Now heres another question. Will the car be fine when my inspection comes up if it has the aftermarket intake in it? Because i here about peoples cars that wont pass because they have like sport exausts and stuff.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Intake should not matter. Are you in California or something? If so, youmay need to get the AEM since it will have a carb sticker. Being cheap has nothing to do with it though. You are really wasting more than $100 on a piece of pipe if you buy a name brand system.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Intake should not matter. Are you in California or something? If so, youmay need to get the AEM since it will have a carb sticker. Being cheap has nothing to do with it though. You are really wasting more than $100 on a piece of pipe if you buy a name brand system.
I second that... it's not being cheap, it's being smart... just don't waist for $$$... unless u do have a good pocket and then u can spend... whatever... just post whatever your doing...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 03Sleeper

wait, headers slow down a 4 banger engine? what? i knew it gave you more airflow...torque, but i didnt know it made the car slower...

ORIGINAL: 00AccordGuy

it wont make your car slower

I can guarantee 100% that below 4000 rpms the 4 cylinder accord is slower with a header. The reason is that the systems are sized around 6500 rpm. At low engine speed the airflow isn't uniform and will not move through the exhaust piping as efficiently. The header will give you less of a restriction at the upper range and therefore will dyno a gain at peak HP, but this is simply because the curves have been shifted up in rpms.

HP = torque * rpm / 5252

Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: blacknight07644

ORIGINAL: ford

to Vipers4Life...

thats also a good one...Injen also makes great products...to answer your question if intake system increase or decrease mpg, it really depends on the driver...if you are one of those drivers who abuse the added power from that intake system, then ofcourse you will get WORSE gas milage...but on the other hand, if you have that intake system and just drive normally/safely, then you would enjoy the increase in your mpg..
Hmmm.

I always thought if you increase the air coming into the throttle body (Larger intake), the ECU must compensate and increase the fuel intake for proper mixture. Thus, creating more power.
Last time I checkes.
More air/fuel mixture = more power = less MPG
You will lower your MPG's but not by much since you'll only be gaining about 3-4 additional HP
yes you are correct about more air=more fuel.. and that is y i said it depends on the driver..but since the engine doesnt have the restriction of the stock intake system, it will be more efficient...but yeah you woudnt get really high mpg just by putting aftermarket intake system...your just gonna be looking at small numbers but its still an increase.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I second that... it's not being cheap, it's being smart... just don't waist for $$$... unless u do have a good pocket and then u can spend... whatever... just post whatever your doing...
I live in New Jersey. Im gonna get the AEM one i posted but not until sometime during the summer because i just got the car and its fun to drive Plus the aem comes with instructions and the aem license plate frame lol. Im gonna be nervous about installing it because im not gonna know what im doing hopefully the instructions will be good.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Instructions for SRI/CAI installation are free in the DIY section. Install is super easy with simple hand tools.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

yep..dont worry about installation..it's really easy even if you dont have the instructions guiding you..

Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 PM

Intakes are simple. I plan to do a quasi cold air that's not much more than a SRI, but pulls air from the opening that a CAI would run through. Then I'm going to seal the rest of that chamber so it actually sucks cold air. This will use the filterbox design and I'll build it out of clear casting resin .... I'm debating on what will support the resin. I'm thinking of using a fine mesh brass screen material so I can peel it out when the resin drys for a clear intake, but I'm still not sure. It'll add a lot of work to make it clear, but it would probably look pretty cool. If I do that, I may just have to add a piece of Liquid Glass to the upper radiator hose and LED's to the clear intake. We'll just have to see how well I can model the piece for the casting resin.

Reason for this mod: I'm too cheap to buy an intake when I plan to turbo it. Also, I want to keep my car quiet, but get rid of the ugly heat soaking black plastic carp.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord intake