Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Freshly installed K&N Typhoon CAI causes P2176 and P2101 plus Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024 | 11:16 PM
Default Freshly installed K&N Typhoon CAI causes P2176 and P2101 plus Limp Mode

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I will preface this post by saying that I can change the oil, change the brakes, replace the radiator and other things like those. I have read a lot and have tried a lot of things but am stumped as to why my car is in Limp Mode. I have a 2012 Honda Accord LX 2.4L Automatic and just recently installed a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake System in hopes of gaining a little power and even better fuel efficiency. After the installation was complete, I took the car for a slow test drive around my neighborhood and after about 5-10 mins the check engine light came on as did what looks to be the traction control light. (Car with wavy lines under it as if it were slipping on ice) I turned the car off and back on and it was now in Limp Home Mode. Pressing on the gas pedal and giving it gas did nothing. I pulled into my driveway and parked it thoroughly confused. I read about having to reset the ECU so that the car could learn how to use the intake efficiently. I tried removing the cable from the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and later on I tried an hour. I also tried using one color of a pair of jumper cables and attaching one end to the positive battery cable (disconnected from the battery of course) and the other end to the negative battery cable (also disconnected) to entirely drain any stored memory. I also tried turning the key from OFF to ON 3-4 times back and forth and pressing and holding the gas pedal down to the floor for 45 seconds and then starting the car. I have pulled the fuses belonging to the ECU under the hood as well as inside the car on the driver’s side. I bought an OBD II and a MAF sensor so I didn’t have to go back to Advance Auto a second time. First the OBD II gave me the code for the MAF so I replaced it. After I replaced it,

y the codes I received were P2176, P2101, P0102, and P0113. The P2176 is listed as Throttle Actuator Control System Not Learned. The P2101 is the Throttle Actuator System Malfunction. Aside from removing the factory intake tube and replacing it with the K&N intake tube, I did nothing to the throttle body or anything close to it. I specifically chose the K&N Typhoon CAI because K&N said that they tested it with the engine’s tuning from the factory and you are supposed to not have to get your car tuned or anything for you to take advantage of the benefits of the CAI. For as easy of an installation as the CAI was, the troubleshooting has proven to be quite a pain. I will also add that my car idles at 1500 rpm and then jumps up to 1750 rpm after a few mins. Have I forgotten to check anything or do anything? Am I missing something? I thought for the most part that this CAI was going to be plug-and-play but it has not been. Please advise as to how I can get my Accord back up and running smoothly short of putting the stock intake back on. Thanks.