New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

05 accord slow/hard start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Post 05 accord slow/hard start

The last few days there have been some issues with the car. I get in everything seems normal until I turn the key. It’s either very slow to turn or doesn’t turn at all. Then a few cycles of that, it will turn and start. I’m thinking once the oil gets around a bit, it’s easier for the starter and it must be the starter going.

On another note, we bought the car in 2015, the radio has never worked properly and had always drained the battery since the previous owner. The radio was disconnected from a shop my grandmother went to but the battery still seems to drain quickly. If we don’t run it for 3-4days, it’s hard to start, like the battery is low.

I’m just trying to get some opinions on what you guys think what the issue could be. The valvetrain is loud and I need to adjust the valves on it. We have put 67k on the car and this has not been done yet. I guess I’m asking since this starter issue has raised its head, should I just go ahead and do everything at once. Any help appreciated.

Thanks again

Old 05-20-2021, 11:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What mileage is on the car?
I would check the battery cables, battery to body, body to engine cables for corrosion and clean if needed. They are easy to get to especially if you have the 4cyl. Also get your battery and starter tested at your local auto part store. Most chain stores will do this for free and may even be able to run a basic starter test with it still in the car.

If your battery tests good, your starter may be dying and causing a large load on the battery that it can't handle. I've had the same issue with an original 14+ year old starter with 150-200k+ miles. Tried a newer battery since mine was a little weak had some age on it without much improvement. Ended up replacing the starter and it was very eager to turn over after that.