New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1988 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 AM
Lightbulb 1988 Honda Accord LX

Hello there,

You can call me Jo (Joe), just no E. I have an 88' Honda Accord LX 4 door sedan 5 speed Manual transmission. I am looking to do a few upgrades to this old beater and would like your knowledgeable help.

Engine Swap- As much as I enjoy the carburetor engine and as classic as it is I do want to swap engines. I am debating between placing a boxer engine from a Subaru, I have had friends tell me to put in an LS motor just for kicks and giggles, to placing a newer HONDA model engine. Yes I know those other ones are not HONDA but they are still nice. I am unaware if any of those engine types would even fit into the engine bay without having to do any modifications and I do not want to find out when it is too late.

Transmission- With every great engine I need a transmission that will match it greatly.

Would love some great advice and any other ideas people have done to their cars of the 3rd generation.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JO-Z
Hello there,

You can call me Jo (Joe), just no E. I have an 88' Honda Accord LX 4 door sedan 5 speed Manual transmission. I am looking to do a few upgrades to this old beater and would like your knowledgeable help.

Engine Swap- As much as I enjoy the carburetor engine and as classic as it is I do want to swap engines. I am debating between placing a boxer engine from a Subaru, I have had friends tell me to put in an LS motor just for kicks and giggles, to placing a newer HONDA model engine. Yes I know those other ones are not HONDA but they are still nice. I am unaware if any of those engine types would even fit into the engine bay without having to do any modifications and I do not want to find out when it is too late.

Transmission- With every great engine I need a transmission that will match it greatly.

Would love some great advice and any other ideas people have done to their cars of the 3rd generation.
Welcome Jo (no e).
I'd probably do a K20 or K24 swap and use the 6 speed trans with the LSD in it. These engines can be found in quite a few Acura's, and even some later model Civics. Some of these engines make 200+ hp stock, and combined with a 6 speed trans can be fun. The 6 speed trans can be found in Acura TL's and Honda Civic Si's. My son is doing a K20 swap into his 98 Civic, using a K20 out of RSX s (has the car here for it's donor parts). He's also planning on using the 6 speed that came with it. He's already got the HAS sport engine mounts on order. He's also planning on doing a rear disc brake conversion as well, and just has to pick up the parts from the guy who is storing them for him.