New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2000 Accord manual transmission reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Default 2000 Accord manual transmission reassembly

I was doing a clutch replacement on my 2000 Accord... when I got the bright idea to take my manual transmission to a local transmission shop to take a peek at its innards because of a minor whine I had noticed. They wanted $75.00 to pop it open and take a look. O.K.

4 days later they called and said it looked really good, but the reassembly "as is" would cost me $600.00 and a full rebuild would be $1600.00. Needless to say, I payed them their $75.00 and took my transmission home in several boxes.

Using the Honda shop manual, I have started re-assembly. However, when mostly ready to close the case, I noticed the main shaft and counter shaft gears where they mesh together are offset by about 3/16 of an inch, with the counter shaft sitting lower.
All parts placements match the shop manual diagrams and no spacer is indicated below the counter shaft. The main shaft bearing where it protrudes into the clutch case, appears to be flush with its housing. (yes, the shaft has the shim and special washer)

The question ...Does the external case snap ring that retains the bearing on the counter shaft, draw the counter shaft gears up even with the main shaft gears???? If so, that's really strange engineering.
Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 PM

The question ...Does the external case snap ring that retains the bearing on the counter shaft, draw the counter shaft gears up even with the main shaft gears???? (Yes it does)

After many hours of research, I finally found this...

"What are the symptoms of snap ring failure?"

"The giveaway for snap ring failure is the shifter moving fore and aft in first or second on deceleration or acceleration from slow speed. This happens because when the snap ring breaks (which holds the countershaft top bearing into the case) the whole countershaft moves back and forth in the case when the direction of load / torque changes. Since first and second selector are on the countershaft, and the selector hub hooks into the selector fork which hooks into the shifters."

and this

"Countershaft Snap Ring Bearing:"

"This is a traditional caged ball bearing pressed in place above the previous bearing and retained by a 32mm retaining nut. It is similar to the input shaft bearing in design, as it allows for both axial and radial load support. This bearing is also responsible for locating and retaining the countershaft inside the case, since the countershaft would "float" and be free to move laterally if it was not held in place. This bearing keeps the countershaft in its place by way of a snap ring groove placed inside the transaxle housing and fits in this bearings' outer race."

My local Honda dealer didn't even know this stuff...

Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Greyaccord
The question ...Does the external case snap ring that retains the bearing on the counter shaft, draw the counter shaft gears up even with the main shaft gears???? (Yes it does)

After many hours of research, I finally found this...

"What are the symptoms of snap ring failure?"

"The giveaway for snap ring failure is the shifter moving fore and aft in first or second on deceleration or acceleration from slow speed. This happens because when the snap ring breaks (which holds the countershaft top bearing into the case) the whole countershaft moves back and forth in the case when the direction of load / torque changes. Since first and second selector are on the countershaft, and the selector hub hooks into the selector fork which hooks into the shifters."

and this

"Countershaft Snap Ring Bearing:"

"This is a traditional caged ball bearing pressed in place above the previous bearing and retained by a 32mm retaining nut. It is similar to the input shaft bearing in design, as it allows for both axial and radial load support. This bearing is also responsible for locating and retaining the countershaft inside the case, since the countershaft would "float" and be free to move laterally if it was not held in place. This bearing keeps the countershaft in its place by way of a snap ring groove placed inside the transaxle housing and fits in this bearings' outer race."

My local Honda dealer didn't even know this stuff...
Thank You for the information. I hope I don't have to go thru my wife's 2000 Accord AT, but if I ever do, I'll make note of the snap ring placement.
I'm not surprised you didn't find the info available thru the dealer though, as most dealers send it out to someone else for rebuilding. Last I heard, was that a NEW automatic trans for a 2000 Accord with a V6 in Canada sells for 10K Canadian. And a rebuilt one sold thru the dealer is 8K Canadian. I never got any pricing for the 4 cylinder models though, as my friend was more interested in a good V6 trans.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:05 PM

It appears from my study, that if the counter-shaft bearing groove does not engage the snap ring and you drive the car that way, you can "kiss that transmission goodbye".