New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

88 Honda Accord LX owner here.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Smile Pictures and more......

Hi all,

Updates - few years back I blew out 5th gear on the highway, but can still ride the highways in 4th, I've just never dared to try 5th gear again, so havent - since that time the transmission started to make some noise in various gear shifts but thats faded back some, - I had an opinion from my shop on getting a rebuilt put in, but dont wanna shell out $1500 -2,000 for that, so am riding her out awhile, saving up for newer used Honda, maybe FIT or Civic...or could stick with newer model Accord. - So ive just been driving short distances like no more than hour out of town, as I used to drive her on longer trips like 3 hours away, but not risking it.

The engine block and surfaces could use a good cleaning, they are caked with old grimey oil and some other crusted stuff that causes engine to smoke a little sometimes, but not sure how to clean (steam or power water wash, or just degreaser and cloths?) - I've driven her about 6,000 mi. since last oil change now, more than i usually do so need to change oil soon, - she does leak oil, so am always checking on that and refilling her as needed. - also during seasonal changes her idle can go up or down, its been running high, so need that adjusted. Its an old carburator.....does using spray for that help any? - could have the mechanic spritz it up a bit.

Love this generation of Hondas....but thinking about a newer car and not investing much more $ into this one because of its age and wear. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations are appreciated

Paul

Old 12-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Hi all,

Updates - few years back I blew out 5th gear on the highway, but can still ride the highways in 4th, I've just never dared to try 5th gear again, so havent - since that time the transmission started to make some noise in various gear shifts but thats faded back some, - I had an opinion from my shop on getting a rebuilt put in, but dont wanna shell out $1500 -2,000 for that, so am riding her out awhile, saving up for newer used Honda, maybe FIT or Civic...or could stick with newer model Accord. - So ive just been driving short distances like no more than hour out of town, as I used to drive her on longer trips like 3 hours away, but not risking it.

The engine block and surfaces could use a good cleaning, they are caked with old grimey oil and some other crusted stuff that causes engine to smoke a little sometimes, but not sure how to clean (steam or power water wash, or just degreaser and cloths?) - I've driven her about 6,000 mi. since last oil change now, more than i usually do so need to change oil soon, - she does leak oil, so am always checking on that and refilling her as needed. - also during seasonal changes her idle can go up or down, its been running high, so need that adjusted. Its an old carburator.....does using spray for that help any? - could have the mechanic spritz it up a bit.

Love this generation of Hondas....but thinking about a newer car and not investing much more $ into this one because of its age and wear. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations are appreciated

Paul

Old 12-30-2020, 07:17 PM
Smile Updates, photos......

Hi all,

Paul