New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Talking Hello...

Hi, my name is Dave I live near Chester (Cheshire). I have been a member of other motoring forums for many years, in particular the Volvo owners forum. I already have two other Honda's - a 2002/02 CR-V and a 2001 Civic - however the purchase of a 2001/51 Accord Type-V has prompted my joining the Accord forum today. I look forward to taking time to contribute to the forum, and getting to know a few of you guys! My Accord is (well I think anyway) a bit of a 'minter', with 143k on the clock. I have added a couple of pics for now and will add more detail tomorrow after I have collected the car.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Beautifully kept.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Beautifully kept.
Many thanks! Yes it appears to have been well looked after. Couple of minor jobs to do but not much

Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Beautifully kept.
Welcome to the forums. That's a beautiful car. It's nice to see how Europe got cars that look like multiple years over here in the states. Example, the front looks a lot like our 98-2002 version, but with the 96-97 style grill in it. The rear looks a lot like our 94-97 body style with the much smaller style tail lights. It's an interesting combination. Very cool.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Welcome to the forums. That's a beautiful car. It's nice to see how Europe got cars that look like multiple years over here in the states. Example, the front looks a lot like our 98-2002 version, but with the 96-97 style grill in it. The rear looks a lot like our 94-97 body style with the much smaller style tail lights. It's an interesting combination. Very cool.
Thats great, thanks for your kind words! Looking forward to taking part in forum natter!

Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Progress so far....
1. I have managed to sort the intermittent key issue, where the immobiliser failed to recognise the key, in fact this was becoming more than intermittent often taking +20 attempts to start the car! It turned out to be the antenna which locates around the ignition barrel - I sourced a secondhand one (£17 eBay) and had it fitted plus a second key cut and the two keys coded to the car for £60.
2. I have obtained an excellent secondhand power steering fluid cooler from Japcarparts.com in Stockton-on-Tees for £70. I will have this fitted to the car in the next couple of weeks, along with the cambelts and a full service at the same time. I estimate the belts, fitting, service and fitting of the cooler will cost around £280.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus
Progress so far....
1. I have managed to sort the intermittent key issue, where the immobiliser failed to recognise the key, in fact this was becoming more than intermittent often taking +20 attempts to start the car! It turned out to be the antenna which locates around the ignition barrel - I sourced a secondhand one (£17 eBay) and had it fitted plus a second key cut and the two keys coded to the car for £60.
2. I have obtained an excellent secondhand power steering fluid cooler from Japcarparts.com in Stockton-on-Tees for £70. I will have this fitted to the car in the next couple of weeks, along with the cambelts and a full service at the same time. I estimate the belts, fitting, service and fitting of the cooler will cost around £280.
Wow, on this side of the pond, timing belts can be anywhere from 400 to 750 dollars depending on where you go, so 280 is pretty cheap.
Is your power steering cooler an actual cooler? Just asking, as on my 99 Accord, it's just a long bent piece of tubing, that's kind of shaped like big sideways shaped "d". I know, as I replaced the entire power steering return line system (from the rack to the res jug) on my own car (due to rust). I've also replaced the pressure line from the pump to the steering rack as well (due to a leaking line near the rack fitting). I had about 150 US into replacing all of the lines in it, using genuine Honda parts (off e-bay).

Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Hey Toecutter, thanks for the reply! Actually the belts cost £80 and the labour to fit them is &120. The rest is the service parts and labour for the service.
The cooler is, as you say, a length of shaped tubing, that’s all! Located in front of the radiator it gets a pounding from all the weather. The one I have sourced was removed from a fairly new car years ago and dry stored since, so is in excellent condition.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus
Hey Toecutter, thanks for the reply! Actually the belts cost £80 and the labour to fit them is &120. The rest is the service parts and labour for the service.
The cooler is, as you say, a length of shaped tubing, that’s all! Located in front of the radiator it gets a pounding from all the weather. The one I have sourced was removed from a fairly new car years ago and dry stored since, so is in excellent condition.
Ok, here you can buy the belts from Rock Auto in a kit, that includes the main timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, and timing idler pulley for around 110 dollars. Then it's about 400 to install, unless you do it yourself. I don't know if your engine is like ours though, as ours is a single OHC engine with dual balance shafts.
Like I said, I bought my power steering lines off e-bay, new still in the Honda bags. It was nice to just completely remove all of the old parts, and just install the new parts. It made it so much easier. For me, the hard part was the line fittings at the steering rack. I ended up breaking the lines off right at the fittings, and used a socket with a swivel to get them off. Installing the lines was easier too. Hopefully it goes that easy for you, or your mechanic.