New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi from North Bergen

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Default Hi from North Bergen

Hi all, I'm Glen. I'm owner of 2004 Honda Accord EX V6.
The past couple of years I have been having my vehicle oil sprayed for rust protection https://rustconverters.net/best-rust-removers/ and the guy who does it is making a fortune. He uses brand new oil, but I am not sure whether it is simply 15w40 or if it is hydraulic oil, does anyone know what is commonly used? I am thinking of doing this on my own next year and truthfully I would love to know how you avoid EPA issues with this type of business? Any ideas? People have said in the past that since it is new oil that is being sprayed it is acceptable since it is naturally what comes out of the earth, but I am not sure I buy this and I really do not want to find out the hard way. Any advice or experience you can share would be appreciated. I sense that Captain Planet may have something to say about this!!!

Last edited by Mevakilyr; 10-30-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Mevakilyr
Hi all, I'm Glen. I'm owner of 2004 Honda Accord EX V6.
The past couple of years I have been having my vehicle oil sprayed for rust protection and the guy who does it is making a fortune. He uses brand new oil, but I am not sure whether it is simply 15w40 or if it is hydraulic oil, does anyone know what is commonly used? I am thinking of doing this on my own next year and truthfully I would love to know how you avoid EPA issues with this type of business? Any ideas? People have said in the past that since it is new oil that is being sprayed it is acceptable since it is naturally what comes out of the earth, but I am not sure I buy this and I really do not want to find out the hard way. Any advice or experience you can share would be appreciated. I sense that Captain Planet may have something to say about this!!!
Welcome.
Most places mix a form of wax into the oil (called waxoyl), so it stays where it's sprayed. Ideally you'd want to do this sort of thing in late summer before the rainy season hits. Also, you'd want to park on a dirt driveway or parking lot to let it "drip dry". Please note that I've never done anything like this/that before, so I can only speculate on it. A friend (older guy) used to spray transmission fluid on his truck before winter, to slow the rust on it. He used a garden sprayer to spray with, and just let it drip dry in his backyard.
Myself, I never really worried about it, as Honda did a great job of rust proofing their cars, and I live in the salt belt where everything but plastic rusts.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-23-2019 at 03:49 PM.