New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member, also need advice on build!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 AM
Default New member, also need advice on build!!!

So I just bought a 98 Accord sedan ex with the VTEC 2.3l it also came with a bunch of parts the main being a Brand new HEAD with port polish, valve job , and a new something I have the receipt you can kinda make it out New intercooler plus some red fans it comes with a spare 2.3l block ? None of the parts are installed so I was wondering what I could do ? Any and all replies helpful.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did you ask the seller what they were planning to do with all the parts or why they had them?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Did you ask the seller what they were planning to do with all the parts or why they had them?
Yeah, he was going to turbo it and was just waiting to piece everything together before it went in .

Old 04-03-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ShineStateCG5
Yeah, he was going to turbo it and was just waiting to piece everything together before it went in .
Welcome to the forums. Did he include low compression pistons with the block? If not, I'd sell off the intercooler, and build a NA engine to have as a spare. These 2.3L are good motors that will do over 300K miles.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Welcome to the forums. Did he include low compression pistons with the block? If not, I'd sell off the intercooler, and build a NA engine to have as a spare. These 2.3L are good motors that will do over 300K miles.

Nah the block is still stock from when he pulled it, what kind of power levels you think I can get with a N/a build I already was shopping around for the pistons & con rods I think Eagle or from wiesco. is the stock IM good enough cause I couldn’t find any for this car also it’s a 5 spd with stage3 clutch

Old 04-04-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShineStateCG5
Nah the block is still stock from when he pulled it, what kind of power levels you think I can get with a N/a build I already was shopping around for the pistons & con rods I think Eagle or from wiesco. is the stock IM good enough cause I couldn’t find any for this car also it’s a 5 spd with stage3 clutch
Rods from Eagle, pistons from Weisco. No idea on the power level, but I'd wait on the pistons, until your machinist is done looking at the block. He might find it might need to be bored out to clean it up.My son ran into that with his 98 Civic. Ended going .5mm over. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's enough when matched to domed pistons. I think we figured it out that it's currently 11.8:1 compression, versus the stock 9.8:1. It runs very good in his heavy 4 door sedan with 5 speed.
As for the Intake Manifold, you probably won't find anything that flows better than stock, as that engine was already optimized by the factory, and nobody makes hot rod parts for it in this country. Even turbo cars are using the stock intake manifold (at least those few I've seen). Keep in mind most people either go with a V6 (and do a trans swap), or swap to an H series, as parts are more readily available for them (the H series).
I hope this helps.