New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Should I buy cheap 89 Accord LX daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 PM
Default Should I buy cheap 89 Accord LX daily driver?

Hi, I am looking for a cheap manual car to use a commuter instead of my truck and to teach the wife how to drive a manual. Found a 1989 Honda Accord LX on Facebook Marketplace for $500. Seller says it has 150k miles, has a 4-cyl 2.2L (don't think is right). I read this generation could have A16, A18, and A20 engines with the A20A3 and A20A4 being fuel injected? Seller says it needs a battery, fan sensor, and 5th gear.

Should I buy it? Is it worth buying and fixing?
Is it a good deal? What is it really worth? Or should it be scrapped?
What should I be concerned with? What issues does this car/power-train have?
How easy/cheap is it to rebuild the gearbox? Is it worth it or is it better to do a swap with a better one? What else should be done while it's out?
How reliable are these? Can they be made more reliable?
What are the main things to check on this car before buying it?

I've read that this generation could have issues with starting once warm. My guess's related to the carburetor but could be other things as well. I know my way around tools and have pretty much everything I need to fix it but my experience on cars is mainly doing preventative maintenance, suspension work, brake work, and a little steering. I've seen/helped others do engine and transmission work. I was Army tracked vehicle mechanic, so an older Honda isn't intimidating, just different. Also in automotive tech school right now, so other tools and knowledge are available. My main concern before buying a car is just to make sure it's not going to be a money pit since the main goal is to park my truck and uninsure it and just drive a beater for now.

Looking at this engine, it looks like it has a carburetor(s) but beyond that, I don't know much about these engines like which one this is. Where is the engine code on these?

Last edited by beavis87; 07-02-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

My one comment is, there is typically nothing "cheap" about a 30+ year old car, errr, except for the initial purchase price.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
My one comment is, there is typically nothing "cheap" about a 30+ year old car, errr, except for the initial purchase price.
Welcome. And I agree. I have a 28 year old Geo Prizm that I daily drive, but then I've been daily driving it for the last 10 years too. Can it be made to be a good daily? Yes, but it won't be cheap. Especially since you've been told it either needs the trans rebuilt, or replaced. I guess the unasked question is "How cheap" is it? Just asking as you can get a grand into an old car pretty easily. I know I did with my 99 Accord that I bought almost 4 years ago.Then I still had to rebuild the front end, mainly due to hub bearings. The bearings cost almost as much as the tool to do the job, but at least I have the tool for when I do my wife's Accord.
Honestly, you might be better off looking for something newer, that you can get parts for, and has FI. Just my take on it.