New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Soon-to-be Accord Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Soon-to-be Accord Owner

Hi all! My sister is offering me a great deal on her 06 Accord LX V6 sedan, with only 55k miles, leather, and sunroof. It's in near mint condition. She says the only possible issue is that the steering is a "bit firm.". She has a new Toyota SUV so is letting the Accord go. Is the steering "firm" from the factory in these? Planning on flying from MT to WA on the 4th of July to visit my sister and drive it back!

Old 06-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DuginMT
Hi all! My sister is offering me a great deal on her 06 Accord LX V6 sedan, with only 55k miles, leather, and sunroof. It's in near mint condition. She says the only possible issue is that the steering is a "bit firm.". She has a new Toyota SUV so is letting the Accord go. Is the steering "firm" from the factory in these? Planning on flying from MT to WA on the 4th of July to visit my sister and drive it back!
While I have never driven a 2006 V6 Accord, I do have a 2006 version of the Accord's Acura twin; the TL and the Accord of that era were built off the same platform, on the same assembly line, and with many of the same parts. While I wouldn't say the steering in my TL is "firm", it is certainly firmer than many other cars I've driven. Personally I'd prefer the steering in my car to be, if anything, a bit firmer.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the feedback! This is the only pic I have of it. Seat covers have never been off! Will check tire pressures and power steering fluid before I take off. I don't mind firm steering either, as long as it's right for the car.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Bought it!

Well, I have bought this car, drove it, and changed oil in it. Getting ready for 700 mile trip back home. Only problem, my sister rarely used the radio, and it is dead and blows the fuse immediately when I replace the 10A fuse! She did not know radio was dead! I do see I can buy a used radio off eBay for around $100, but don't I need a unique code to activate the replacement radio? It is the 6-disk CD model.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes you do. Just make sure they have the VIN for the donor car so you can go on the Honda site to retrieve the code if the seller doesn't have the code. I think you can use the serial number also.

Most sellers have one or the other.

Honda code site

Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Seanjordan!

Old 08-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default First 715 miles!

Had the oil and filter changed and drove it over 700 miles today, to home, over 4 mountain passes, between southern WA to SE MT. It performed great, 29 mpg average, at 60-85 mph, 70-75 mostly. Never felt it needed more power. I like the 5 speed auto - 4th gear is great for pulling the passes at speed. Enjoyed the AC and then the moon roof when it cooled down this evening. The steering is firm, but sporty and precise. The car holds a straight line or curve easily, and for its size it is an excellent highway cruiser. Almost as quiet as my Lincoln Town Car, but with a firmer ride and better road feel. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room. No oil usage that I could measure. I added some water remover and injector cleaner to the gas fill-up in Idaho since it has sat for most of the past year. Have almost all new gas now! Very happy with the car and looking forward to restoring/replacing the radio!

Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by DuginMT
Well, I have bought this car, drove it, and changed oil in it. Getting ready for 700 mile trip back home. Only problem, my sister rarely used the radio, and it is dead and blows the fuse immediately when I replace the 10A fuse! She did not know radio was dead! I do see I can buy a used radio off eBay for around $100, but don't I need a unique code to activate the replacement radio? It is the 6-disk CD model.
Welcome to the forums.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Got radio going!

I took it to a local car audio shop today and they took the radio out, replaced the fuse, got the radio working (they said there were probably some pinched wires in the back) and reinstalled everything for $50! I was in and out of there in 45 minutes. It is still working great! Glad I didn't order a replacement radio!

Old 08-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Anybody use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil & filter?

So my Accord is my new daily driver, I love it! I change my own oil, and use Mobil 1 Extended performance oil and filter, guaranteed for 15k miles, but I change myself, at 10k miles, which for me is twice per year. Have had great luck with this method on a Dodge Charger and Lincoln Town Car. I have a mechanic friend who says I'm running too long, but I have never had any wear-related engine issues using this method, in over 150k miles. Any other suggestions for extended performance oil? My Honda has been dealer serviced until I had oil changed to semi-synthetic at Jiffy Lube before I left for home last week. 57k on her now.

Quick Reply: Soon-to-be Accord Owner