New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

What does "mtrtw" mean on a pcm pinout diagram wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default What does "mtrtw" mean on a pcm pinout diagram wire?

hello I have just a simple question does anyone know what "MTRTW" stands for? it is on a pinout diagram on a wire. is this the wire from the pcm to the temp gauge? ty

Old 04-14-2020, 05:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 2001accordexv6
hello I have just a simple question does anyone know what "MTRTW" stands for? it is on a pinout diagram on a wire. is this the wire from the pcm to the temp gauge? ty
Welcome to the forums.
Not 100% sure, but maybe motor temp water. You could back probe the ecm, and ohm meter the other end on the engine to verify.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ty for the response I think you are right because from my research that wire should be the wire going to my temp gauge from the pcm.so that makes sense. I put my test light to ground on the wire and my temp gauge shoots up to hot. but when I ran a jumper from that wire out the pcm to the temp gauge I am getting nothing. how can I get the gauge working if when I ground the wire the gauge responds and goes to h? ( I am coming out of pcm at a1(yellow/green mtrtw wire) and going into gauge at c2 (yellow/green) right side conector behind gauge. any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:50 PM

Where you getting a low circuit error. Have you tested the ground and hot wires and it indicated a broken wire. Did you do a resistance test on the sensor.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 04-14-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Where you getting a low circuit error. Have you tested the ground and hot wires and it indicated a broken wire. Did you do a resistance test on the sensor.
Yup, that was my thought too. More testing is needed before buying parts.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

SEAN JORDAN ty for the reply I only have one wire coming out of the pcm to the temp gauge. my ect sensor(its new just changed it) has 2 wires to it and is working it also goes to the pcm. please advise me on how you would go about testing this situation. I got no action at my temp gauge and no 12 volts on multimeter. ty

Old 04-17-2020, 12:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

no low circuit error just temp gauge not working. when I put a test light to ground and touch the gauge wire the needle does jump to hot.thats about all the info I got. my car has no temp gauge sender so im a little confused on how it is wired and how to troubleshoot it. thanks for you help man

Old 04-17-2020, 07:15 AM

Do you have a voltage meter if so follow these steps:

1. Back probe the connector with the sensor still in the car

2. With the meter set at 20vdc connect you negative to the battery ground then the positive to the paper clip

3. Turn ignition to the on position (do not start). Does the meter read greater than 2v?

4. Start the car and let it get to operating temp. Does the voltage lower as it is getting hotter?

If you say yes to both then your sensor is working normal. Then we will have to test backwards by testing harness continuity and voltage.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 04-17-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

SEAN JORDAN ty for your test walk thru. ok here are my results.

with the car started and warm I am getting about 2 volts
I held it there while she was warming up and saw it slowly dropping was about 1.6 volts when I stopped the test.
I just changed out that ect sensor 2 weeks ago so after the test I just did I would say the sensor is deff not the issue. what would you do next in the troubleshooting process? please advise ty

Old 04-17-2020, 02:46 PM

Unplug and check the connector to make sure you're getting 5v to make sure you're good to the PCM cabling wise

Quick Reply: What does "mtrtw" mean on a pcm pinout diagram wire?