Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

For fun. Turbo/Super charge a 03 4cyl. Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Supper Moderator

Also when asking questions narrow it down specifically like “what’s a good rout to go with a turbo mani?” Don’t leave yourself wide open for hit’s don’t just say “I want to turbo my car what should I do” see what I mean? You will get ALOT more help and ALOT less crap.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm getting you now g22cd5, I did leave it wide and now i'd like to start chippin away at this and get to specifics for a small engine Honda. Sounds like what I should be doing first is prepping the engine itself to allow for safe boosting. If i plan to boost then i need to make some engine parts stronger. I need to get some lower compression pistons, better fuel injectors and some other things. See? I'm helping myself here haha, but the links you gave have helped. Still havent looked at the parts themselves for buying.

how about spark plugs and wires? they are somewhat inexpensive, do they need to be replaced with a turbo and/or can they help it or are the two unrelated?

Can anyone tell me off the top of their head if they know of certain 2003 accord engine parts notorious for being trouble spots when boosting? if not of course i'll keep reading. I did find that the F23 engine has good sleeves but bad piston ring lands, and that one should replace the seals, bearings, pins, and such on the engine. does this hold true do you think?

for once, thank you g22cd5. I shall keep reading but still could use help.

Last edited by austinman3214; 02-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

In general, it is safe to boost up to 6psi on stock internals, 8psi at the very max. Now obviously it can handle a good WOT here and there w/o a problem but doing it all the time will of course cause problems.

You have an auto. By FAR that will be the weakest link in the powertrain. If you are serious about a turbo, my suggestion is to either swap a manual in or have your transmission built for a turbo. Or you could simply drive it until the tranny gives out and then swap something in. But, if you do keep the auto, you MUST install the biggest transmission fluid cooler you can find (usually about $40-50).

Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info man, now what am i talking in terms of a transmission swap? cost that is. The thought of a manual seems fun even if the turbo is never installed (hopefully it will!) I'm looking it up as i type this but haven't found anything definitive.

Thank you for sharing the knowledge keep it coming! If i were to boost the car it would have to be below 8 psi I've heard thats the standard for a reliable turbo on mostly stock parts. I'm looking for hmmm lets say 50? extra horsepower, can that be achieved with that low boost and some other small mods? thats less than half the horsepower it already has. in fact thats a 30% increase, again, possible?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Supper Moderator

Tranny swaps can cost some $$$ if your not the one doing it. Also I know with the newer accords there is allot of electrical stuff to deal with. Like on my cb7 it's a weekend job with like 2 or 3 friends. I did it on my last cb7 (RIP) be4 I totaled her. I just normally provide bunch of food and beer and they are happy. But it does help when you have mechanic friends.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

sigh, i have no mechanic friends haha. Yeah i found a junk yard site for cars and it had an 03 accord manual trans and the least they wanted was $750, which seems a bit inflated but i guess thats what it may take to swap. Would my auto tranny just get destroyed by say 6 psi boost?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 AM

thats more like it , see how easy that was? less lip more tech..... thank you.
with that said , what do you have done to the car so far? there are a few hiden ponies on those cars , just need the right combo of parts. a whole lot cheaper than a turbo build, easier to tune also,which isn't cheap either. maybe a supercharger application, a little more reliable and less custom work envolved . sorry to tell you but the auto wouldn't last under any condition that has you puttin your foot in it.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Thank You Gentlemen For Working This Thread Out

Now that all you guys have got that settled , I hope you all will keep a civil tongue so I don't have to keep editing your posts for bad words.
No more attcking each other on my watch please, and as you all know Espec Tyler..I'm always on my watch..WiFi

Make Sure You Watch For The Potty Mouth Words..we don't allow to many of them in the forums...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails For fun. Turbo/Super charge a 03 4cyl. Accord?-ducttapefor%2520pottymouths.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM

I didn't want it to come to bad mouthing each other sorry Ang.

@sickdime. ^ likewise to you too and yes i know asking repeat questions is annoying, sorry. I have nothing done to my car yet, which leaves it all open to the wind come this spring. Money is a bit of an issue right now but we can always just throw out any possibilities and i can omit the more financially impossible mods. I loved the idea of a supercharger as it is easier to handle, but as I've read most people turbo, and I've yet to find a supercharger that works well with the 4cyl accord. I love the sound of a manual trans swap, but the price is just ridiculous. The labor for a swap would be high too. If it must be done it will be though.

So then i must ask what do you feel would help get those extra ponies outta this car? I'm already going the route of getting new spark plugs, good summer tires, an air intake, maybe synthetic oil. the simple things. What else can you recommend?

Last edited by austinman3214; 02-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 PM

header, 2.5 exhaust, with the auto tranny tuning is limited, maybe a custom ground cam,vtec controller, it will all add up to gains. nothing crazy though. all advertised hp gains are bs. cheapest way to figure what will work is search the forums, read their builds. most honest people will steer you away from worthless stuff. good luck bro

Quick Reply: For fun. Turbo/Super charge a 03 4cyl. Accord?