Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo gives better gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Default turbo gives better gas milage?

i thought turbos make your gas mileage worse, but i was on this civic forum and a lot of users said that get good gas mileage with a turbo and stuff

Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Default RE: turbo gives better gas milage?

A turbo can give better gas mileage, if you drive like a grandmother. But seriously, who adds a trubo to their car and then drives timid?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 AM

then how come an evo gets worse gas milage than my stock accord?
and its a 15 year difference too

Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 AM

its when your actually letting the turbo spool and using that forced induction system that causes you to get worse gas milage... o2 to fuel ratio increases.. bigger bang.. more gas used.. dont let ur turbo spool and you can get ur 25mpg, but then you wasted 2g's+ on a worthless turbo kit that your putting to waste. up to u.. the people that are getting good gas mileage with it arent driving their cars like they should be.. their the ones doing 35 in the 35 zone, whereas im doing at least 50-60 in a 35.. (the streets around here are 4 lane straight aways with hardly any traffic except during rush hour..)

Old 04-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The reason its claimed that turbo's can help gas mileage is because at very low boost ( 1 to 4 psi range) they mix the fuel better then a stock n/a system would otherwise turbos ultimately dont improve gas mileage and evo's get worse gas mileage because 1 they have more aggressive cam profiles and 2 most all of them are defined as sports sedans/coups..... not exactly family cars

Old 04-21-2007, 03:40 PM

ahh, i see
that clears up a lot
thanks guys

Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Heavy foot asideI cannot see how a turbo could possibly increase mileage. Even if you drove like your Granny the exhaust must make multiple curls just to get to the turbo as opposed to a "straight pipe" out to the rear. As many have mentioned you don't pay fora custom install and premium fuel for better MPG. It's BS, pure and simple.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:52 PM

you dont need premium fuel at really low boost either, hell, you dont even need an fmu, and reducing restriction on an exaust system doesnt really help gas mileage either. Just cause somethings not cost effective doesnt make it bs.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:11 AM

I'm saying that better MPG is BS with a turbo. Obviously I could be incorrect andwill admit to same. Also why spend a small fortune for a custom turbo setup andsettle for low boost on 87 octane? That justdoesn't make sense to me. I'm not arguing or being a plick,just expressing my opinion.

I disagree that a better exhaust system will not help mileage. I've proven it too many times over the last 40 years of driving. I'm not talking 5MPG but it will indeed give you 1-2 depending on the vehicle and how restrictive the original exhaust system was.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM

I understand what your saying, it doesnt make sense to spend that much money on it just to run extremely low boost, thats why its not cost effective and people dont add turbos for running extremely low boost.

As for the exaust yeah, i can believe extremely restricive systemsimpact gas mileage, but for most newer cars, not really likely imo i definetly know going from 2.25 to 2.5inch didnt improve my mpg

Quick Reply: turbo gives better gas milage?