Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

For all you gun lovers .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Default RE: For all you gun lovers .....

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I'd take a hollow point .22 or .22 LR over a 9mm, it's been shown in more than one circumstance that someone who is really hopped up on various drugs won't stop from a 9mm round, just not enough punch. Also, if you go hiking and want to carry something besides bear spray (which sucks btw...) a 9mm will literally bounce off the scull of a bear...

I know a while back that it was rumored the old police kevlar wouldn't stop a 22 since the round was so small it wouldn't disperse properly and the bullet would penetrate, this in turn slowed the rate of the bullet enough that is could bounce off bones internally and cause more damage... as I said though that was just a rumor I heard.
If I shoot at anyone I am goingt o aim the first shot or two at their face. Nobody is going to walk away from a gunshot to the head. If I miss on the 1st two I aim at their face, then I'll aim for the body mass. After I hit the body mass, if I have any bullets left I'll unload the rest at their face.
That's the problem with people these days, everybody just wants to wound someone when they shoot them. If I everhave to shoot somebody, by God I am going to kill the SOB. For that reason, I'd pack a '9 any day of the week. Especially since you can get 15 roundsto a clip easily. If I shoot at someone 15 times and can't stop them, it must just be my time to go meet my maker. But I would still pistol-whip the hell out of the guy if I ran out of ammo. That's another reason I like heavy guns. If it doesn't work, hit him with it

Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

i would imagine everything from a .22 up is a pretty good weapon against just about anybody.

you gota remember, it might only leave a 1/4 inch entrance wound
but it leaves an exit wound the size of a grapefruit.
in fact, .22's are what most assasins use. when cops see a murder with a .22, they immedatly assume it was an assasins bullet.

and do you honestly think that crackhead is gonna keep after the $80 in your wallet after you just shot em? i dont think he'll be like "oh, its just a .22 in my thigh. Ill keep going."

guns are mostly used for intimidation anyway.
There is a ss Taurus thatis very similar in size totheir model 85, except that it'sin22 magnum caliber and it can hold 8 rounds.

I seriously considered this gun for afew reasons.
First, capacity.
Second, 22 mag hollow point, or some of those new exploding bullets, can do some veryserious damage.
Third, if you should ever have to use a snub-nosedgun, either indoors or outdoors, you may very wellend updeaf. The bigger the caliber, the more likely you will sustain permanent hearing damage.(Can you imagine using a short-barrel .44 mag in a home invasion situation in the middle of the night? You'd better get him with the first shot, because you'll be bothblind and deaf after pulling that trigger.) I think using the 22 mag you might very well get out of it withlittle damage.
Fourth, again capacity, if one 22 mag shot doesn't do the job, I'd be willing to bet my life that 7 more would.

(I have been at the range when40mm SW autos and .50 mag desert eagles were being fired. Take my word for it, anyone firing one of those things without hearing protection is going to be deaf.I was wearing32 db NR muffs AND Purafoam earplugsat the time, and it still bothered my ears.IMO, thoseguns are completely worthless in just about every practical respect I can think of. They're strictly range guns and no more. What's the point, I ask myself?)

Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM

I shot my mango tree on NYE with the cougar, no ear problems, no complaints from the neighbors. It has a very loud, blunt sounding report. Kinda like a loud nail gun. It sounds very different indoors for sure.
Otherwise, right on Tony. I'm with ya. I spaced on the 22 mag-great dillenger round. I have a freedom arms beltbuckle that has a pop-out 2 banger in magnum. I haven't seen it in years-buried in the back of the almost-never-opened golden-rodded, damp-ridded safe.Sometimes I miss the convenience of mainland shooting ranges; I would shoot more of the old guns if a non military (issue-type only down here)
range were nearby. On the plus side, Miami gun ranges have full autos for use/sale demo!
They are fun, but too expensive ammo-wise.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

ORIGINAL: nafango2

a have a friend that claims he knows a guy who shot a mag or deagle or something (cant remember what it was) and it broke the dudes nose. Not sure i believe him though.
I'd believe it, anyone who fails to hold a gun properly could EASILY do that. I nearly knocked myself out when I was like 12 and shot my dads Thompson Contender (he had the 30-30 barrel on) I hit my target but I didn't have a good enough grip (or enough strength who knows) and it kicked back and I knocked myself in the forehead with the scope the first time I shot it.

I would agree too, Kimber firearms rock! In fact their corporate center is up here in my hometown.
Yeah my friend and I went fishing withhis .306 rifle...and some poles of course. Well, he started off shooting his .22 and I bust out his .306 and TRY to shoot it. I thought I had it far enough on my shoulder. Apparently I didn't. So I was jacking around and looking at things through the scope and then I decided to pull the trigger.-BAD IDEA- The gun slid under my armpit and the scope cut a moonshaped indention above my left eye. I stood there and like a little kid and I turned to my friend and half-consciously asked "Mike, am I gonna die?". Without missing a beat he replied "You will if you drop my gun in the dirt!". I lean it against a rock andwalk to his truck got a rag to hold on my fresh cut, almost falling into the creek and passing out. I get home and my parents wondered what happened "meh i just fell on a rock."

Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 PM

*ROFL* were you shooting a 30-06 or a .308? not sure I recall a .306 but I've been wrong before.... When I was elk hunting (the first time) I was shooting at an elk in a laying position and the relief (distance your face is from the scope) on the gun I had was horrible so I "scoped" myself twice (gun kicked back far enough to smack me above the eye) luckily it was a rubber wrapped end so it didn't cut in... and yes, holding a gun of that caliber tight into your sholder is imperative...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM

oh sorry I meant 30-06 I wasn't for sure how to spell it[&:]

Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 PM

sorry, just re-read what I wrote, wasn't laughing at mis typing the round I was laughing about getting hit with the scope. I know how much it sucks but it does make for a good story! You should see what it looks like when someone fires a 50 Cal... even with a proper hold/rest it tosses you back like you wouldn't believe...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM

In my stupid youth I traded a very nice .308Remington Model 600 short-barrel carbinefor a custom-made 300 Win Mag long rifle, with scope.

I fired the thing a few times and handed it to a shooting buddy. He alsodecided to shoot it from prone. I told him to keep his head back from the scope, but he didn't. After his first shot, we ended up taking a quick trip to the emergency room to get that nasty,crescent-moon-shaped cut sewed up with a couple of stitches. Boy, did that sucker bleed for such a small cut! Must have been deep.[sm=happybounce.gif]Yes, I made the mistake of laughing when I first took a look at the cut. That did not go over too well.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Yeah it did suck. I never knew the face could bleed so much. It bled so much that some of the blood actually dried while I was still bleeding. I was making bloodcicles off the tip of my nose lol

Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 PM

BLOODCICLES!!!! [sm=bangbang.gif]THAT'S AWSOME!

Quick Reply: For all you gun lovers .....