Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

For all you gun lovers .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Default RE: For all you gun lovers .....

Yeah but revolvers don't look as cool when you shoot them sideways - gangster style. Just kidding haha.
I definitely plan on buying a revolver for my wife. I figured I'd get a .357 since you can fire .38 out of it. That's why I liked the Taurus you posted. I also like anything Ruger makes. I'd be willing to bet the Taurus is cheaper though! All this talk makes me want to go shoot.I haven't shot in over a year. Maybe even 2 years! I used to live in a town that you coyuld easily go out and shoot. or at least I knew people that had enough land that we wouldn't get the cops called on us. I need to try out the semi-local (about 30 minutes away from my house) range.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Yeah but revolvers don't look as cool when you shoot them sideways - gangster style. Just kidding haha.
I definitely plan on buying a revolver for my wife. I figured I'd get a .357 since you can fire .38 out of it. That's why I liked the Taurus you posted. I also like anything Ruger makes. I'd be willing to bet the Taurus is cheaper though! All this talk makes me want to go shoot.I haven't shot in over a year. Maybe even 2 years! I used to live in a town that you coyuld easily go out and shoot. or at least I knew people that had enough land that we wouldn't get the cops called on us. I need to try out the semi-local (about 30 minutes away from my house) range.
Just to be clear, the Taurus 85 shoots 38 only, but there are some pretty hot +P loads out there and the 85 can handle them, no problem (whether your hand can is another matter).

Of the two guns I mentioned, the Ruger SP101 shoots both 357 and 38. However, the Taurus model 317 total titanium -
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
Name:  317-1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  17.4 KB
- is 357 cal and can shoot 38. It isa fair bitlarger and heavier than the 85, and is therefore less comfortable to carry than the 85.The photos I've posteddon't adequately show the difference in size between the 85, 317, and 101.

Unfortunately, there is no one-gun,perfect solution for all uses - concealed carry, open carry, hunting, or range shooting. For concealed carry - probably the most important use possible for a gun - imo, the three modelsabove are themost appropriate and, compared to S&W, are theleast expensivewithout in any way sacrificing quality.They're all fine guns.

IMO, thesingle most importantquestion that one must answer whenchoosingaccw weapon is also the simplest - is the gun convenient enough so that it will (not can) be carried?As I said previously, the 85 is so small and light thatone can carry it (andeven drive a carwhile it isbeing worn)literally without being aware that it is there. The 101 and 317 will be less comfortable to carrythan the 85 - no doubt about it.

To anyone considering carrying a concealed weapon on a daily basis, I would stongly suggest going to a store that has all these guns on display.But even before going to the store, decide how you'd like to carry the gun - purse, pocket, waistband, front, back, ankle, or whatever. Then, at the store, borrow an appropriateholster, try oneach gun, keep an open mind (ie. completely ignore everythingyou've ever seen in the movies or on TV)and itwill soonbecome apparent which guns are truly suitable forday-to-dayconcealed carry and which are not. After choosing one or more, try to get to a range that rents those models and then shoot shoot shoot them. Most ranges have a good selection of guns for sale, and many of the same guns for rent, so try tofind one of those places.

Although a ccw might seem like a ridiculous thing, it is probably the best insurance policy one can obtain against assault, robbery, or intimidation. In the last case, while carrying, one chooses to leave a threateningsituation rather than being forced to do so. That's an importantdifferencefor one's self esteem.

No police force can ever protect individuals as well as they can protect themselves. A Florida friend of ours used to say "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6", and, "an armed society is a polite society". I completely agree with both those assertions.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

"it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
When I did CQC training, our shirts had a picture of a bowie knife and said, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Another one read, "Use your knife to save your life"

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the clarification there Tony. Luckily in Mississippi we have a plethera of gun shops so I can go check them out. Then when I want to buy, I go to my gun dealer. he is a buddy of my dad's and he has a small store in my home town. So, of course, he has a FFL (Federal Firearms License) which allows him to purchase the guns at wholesale. Which means I get awesomediscounts!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd
............... Which means I get awesomediscounts!
If we get another place in Florida, will you be my friend?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Sure!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Speaking as Academics daughter...if it's not shop smart, then Ash will not bother,so if blastingthe un dead - then S-MART, Shop Smart is the only way to go! Otherwise boom stick?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM

i think someone took one too many hits from the bong.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 AM

Bong as in Rioja. I've no idea either. Apparently, its something to do with the movie "Evil Dead".

Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Bong as in smoking marijuana ..... aka - water pipe. (see below)

Quick Reply: For all you gun lovers .....