Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

For all you gun lovers .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Default RE: For all you gun lovers .....

OMG THAT PIC IS AWESOME!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: academic

Speaking as Academics daughter...if it's not shop smart, then Ash will not bother,so if blastingthe un dead - then S-MART, Shop Smart is the only way to go! Otherwise boom stick?
Evil Dead is one of thegreatest movies of all time.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

OMG THAT PIC IS AWESOME!
The best part is that if you type "bong" into Google images, it's the first one!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM

A bit OT, but what the heII.

I watched "Dirty Harry" last night for the first time in many years.Boy, those gunshots sounded phony.

In fact, in no movie that I can think of do gunshots sound like gunshots, except maybe "Saving Private Ryan", and even in that one they don't sound very realistic to me.

First and foremost, I've never heard a gunshot in a movie that was anywhere near the brutalloudness of a real gunshot. I don't even know if it's possible for a movietheater's sound systemtoreproduce that.

Then, itstruck me that in this day and age, unless one hasbeen in the army or police force,it is quite possible that the vast majorityof the population (especially in Canada) does not have a clue what a real gunshot sounds like, especially at close range.Maybe this is how movies are able to get away with "gunshots" thatsound nothing like gunshots.

I think people would be prettyshocked if they went to a cemetaryand hearda multi big-bore riflesalute simultaneouslyfired. If I were at the ceremony, I'd certainlyhave my fingers in my earsbefore the first shot.I'dbe willing to betthat the rest of those present wouldhave their fingers theirs on the second!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Don't cover your ears from a soldiers' final salute.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

loudest ive ever heard is a black powder rifle, not sure about you all though.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 AM

My manager (a HUGE scottish beast) has a custom black powder rifle in .80 caliber. It is a gigantic long arm with a slight funnel to the muzzle-kinda like a small blunderbuss shape. Yes, BP is loud, but not a sharp report. The old boats in the harbor here have cannons and typically will broadside one another when conditions are right for scaring the tourists. The small deck guns are one thing, but Liberty Clipper has a set of four, five pounder guns that are amazingly loud considering there is no ball in the barrel.
I have a small cannon (golf ball ammo!) but the neighbors made me promise not to use it anymore[>:]. It is fun tho-if I had thought of it, that would be what I would buy with 250 bucks if I were under 18! No laws about minors and cannons![&:]

Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

In fact, in no movie that I can think of do gunshots sound like gunshots, except maybe "Saving Private Ryan", and even in that one they don't sound very realistic to me.

First and foremost, I've never heard a gunshot in a movie that was anywhere near the brutalloudness of a real gunshot. I don't even know if it's possible for a movietheater's sound systemtoreproduce that.
If you used a real gunshot and recorded it on the microphone, the quick blast of sound would be too distorted. Also some parts of some movies that have to be shot in a studio. If they used a real gunshot, it's probably going to kill someone.

but I agree gunshots in movies don't really sound like the real thing

Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Yeah movie gunshots sound like fire crackers.
The loudest thing I've heard with no ear protection is my .45, and that is only because I forgot to bring my ear plugs one day when I went to shoot it. I'm not dumb enough to either not wear ear plugs, or not hold my ears if anyone is shooting anything bigger.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM

[sm=loser.gif]

Quick Reply: For all you gun lovers .....