Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Applying to be a Car Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Default RE: Applying to be a Car Salesman

Most car sales positions are guaranteed minimum wage (if you have a bad month and don't make enough on commission then you at least get minimum wage for your average week) It requires a fair amount of work, lying isn't required and you don't have to be good at sales to sell something, you have to be good to make a decent amount of money. If you know your cars and inventory well then you'll do good but I can't stress enough how important that is. If a customer asks you a question about a car on your lot you should be able to tell them the exact correct answer within seconds, that builds trust and people appreciate the truthfull responses, this is the #1 way to sell vehicles.

If you get the job let me know and I'll post a few other tips/tricks that help make you a better resource for customers so they will want to buy from you.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks again!

I chose Kia, simply because they have an opening and does not require previous salesman history.

I'll be fine with the car knowledge part for the most part, I will just have to learn more about Kias. Plus, people who buy cars usually ask the basic easy to answer questions.

I have tried to contact them, but they are having a huge wonderful fantastic once in a lifetime sale *sarcastic[8D]* So they wont be back in the office until Wednesday in which I shall march in and demand a job immediately! haha jk Wish me luck though!

Thanks for the tips! If I were to get it *fingers crossed* I will plan on being nice, and not pressury. When we were looking for cars for me...wow, some of those salesman were retarded. Plus, when they didnt know an answer to a question as in how many cylinders or such I just kinda rolled my eyes. So ill be sure not to be like that. lol

Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Let me know if you get it and I'll set you up with a few industry specific ways of how to handle things in a curteous fashion and still be able to sell some vehicles... I've got some experience and a lot of hands on knowledge from MUCH more experienced people plus a sales training seminar eventhough I'm not a salesman myself I am a finance manager (along with a few other titles...) so I've got to know how it all works!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i'd be interested to know these tips myself sir_nasty....why cant they be posted here? it may help some of us when buying our next vehicles....

Old 07-16-2007, 04:57 PM

I was going to post them if someone wanted to know but didn't want to waste the sapce if no one cared. *L* More than anything it's just the basics of how to do something properly. Here's a few tips in no particular order.

1) give a presentation and show people what the car can do and has included, it's hard for someone to drop $20,000 on something they don't understand or know about

2) 98% of people won't buy a car without driving it first, make certain the car they are looking at is the car that they want, talking numbers about a vehicle they've never droven is usually a waste of theirs/your time (not always) because they may drive it and realize they hate it

3) Ask lots of questions and listen carefully, selling someone something they don't like doesn't do anyone any favors

4) answer every question as honestly as possible, making stuff up is just going to hurt you and **** them off

5) This goes along with asking questions but make sure they are looking at what they want, not what you think they want, However, if someone is unsure then they are looking to you for advice and opinions, give them that based on your expertise of the vehicles

6) Follow-up, call people back, make an honest effort to stay in touch even after the sale

7) (this one sounds bad but it's not) don't be afraid to ask for the sale, simply asking someone if they would like to buy the car isn't being pushy it's making them aware that they can buy the car and gets them thinking about it a little bit. Posing it like "How soon are you looking to buy" is a good way to find out where they are at without trying to sell something

8) Don't sell, teach. Once again, information is key, they more they know the happier they are

9) Believe in your product, if you don't they won't either

10) Your opening greeting, when someone asks you "can I help you with anything" the common response and planned response of human nature is simply "no" even if they really have questions. Don't do your customers diservice by doing that. Just introduce yourself and ask how they are doing and care

11) Don't be afraid to have the people talk to another salesman, if you're not getting along with them then chances are they aren't getting along with you either, that causes tension, just find a polite way to have someone else help them it makes both of you happier.

Those are some of the basics, fairly common sense for the most part but they are also good ways to help your customers out rather than try to push them into something they don't like. I know there is nothing "mind blowing" in there but it helps to see it written down sometimes. Conversly, if you're buying a vehicle and don't like the way you're being treated it's your right and you should ask to talk to someone else.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 PM

good advice. i was expecting something seedy from the world of car dealers, but still, not a dissappointment.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM

You can be an honest salesman and not be pushy or lie and still do a good job, that's the whole point... Happy not to disappoint! *L*

Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM

My Father-in-Law has been in the car business for like 30 years or something. I have been trying to get him to let me in on some of the "seedy dealings" of car dealers. I have come to the conclusion that most car dealers are not really as shady as everybody thinks they are. Especially after playing in golf tournaments with him and his fellow car dealership workers (includes salesman), I have come to realize they are just normal guys and not too shady after all.
I do however,havean "acquaintance" that I went to high school with that I have heard is a pretty damn good car salesman now. I'll have to admit, he is one shady ba$tard!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM

There are plenty of seedy car salesman out there but that's only about 10% of them on average... The reason I think that most of them come accross that way is because if no one buys anything their family starves. So there is a lot riding on it but that still doesn't excuse people being excessive and lying about stuff.... I think 00AccordLX understands better than most simply because you're in insurance (if I remember right) and there are a number of people in your industry that carry a similar reputation... *L*

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

I actually have had pretty good experiences the last few times I bought vehicles. When I bought my 325i, I just walked in the dealer, expressed interest, was thrown the keys, and out i went. I came back and placed an order. The M3 was similar, though I found it over the net.

My Accord was a little different. I was able to work a few dealers against each other because of what point the market was, and still is, at. My local dealer in Lafayette, Indiana has a bad rap, but I had a pretty good salesperson here. However, I wasnt able to buy from them, as they suffer from big fish / small pond syndrome. They couldnt get within 600$ of an offer I had back home in Milwaukee. I would recommend the salesperson, however. Good guy, knew his stuff. Though he did freak a little when I did I high speed u-turn in a civic ex.

Quick Reply: Applying to be a Car Salesman