Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Computer Question about WMI errors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Default Computer Question about WMI errors

So this past week my laptop HDD tried to crash on me (ran a check disk and it's got about 122mb of bad sectors, I ordered a new drive today) after running the chkdsk I developed an interesting issue... every 30 minutes or so I get a popup "WMI has encountered a problem and needs to close..." or something to that effect... It's killing my winamp, was killing my I.E. until I did un-install/re-install and just causing some funky stuff... I've tried WMIDiag and not getting results with it, tried killing/restarting the processes and un-installed/re-installed a few various items, I believe if I kill the alg.exe process it slows/pretty much stops the WMI process errors but creates it's own set of errors, I don't have this problem in safe mode. Any ideas?

Like I said I have a new drive on the way and so this issue isn't going to bother me for to much longer, but not knowing how to fix it is driving me nuts... I've run anti-virus scans (AVG), have a firewall (Armour2Net) and spyware/malware scan (Ad-Aware SE) to no avail... anyone seen a fix for this aside from an OS overlay?

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Computer Question about WMI errors

Your best bet is to Google "Cyber Tech Help" (since we cant post websites) and click the first result which should be a forum. It is an AMAZING forum. I dont understand half of the stuff on there but the guys are great and always willing to help. Just make sure you search first! hehe When my family got a new comp. I received the old one which had had Napster on it so it was littered with junk, pop ups and random failures and reboots. After conversing w/ the guys over there it now works flawlessly. Plus, you know more about computers so it will be easier for you to understand them!