Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

CRAZY PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Default CRAZY PROJECT

So my goal is 210hp all-motor while staying with the SOHC set up while using mostly stock honda parts and remaining at a $1700 budget including car, I bought a 93' 4 door Accord LX automatic with blown head gasket for $400.00 bucks. The motor was so bad that all the plastics including wires melted to the head and block. Well after a day of shop'n around i found a 2.3 SOHC VTEC outta of an 02 accord $350, I bought it and stripped it down, pulled the head off and noticed that the ports on the 93 head were HUGE compare to the tiny ones on the 02, so I scrapped the Vtec head, in favor of the 93 head, ( more air more power right?) on top of that i took the head and shaved it40 thousandths of an inch,($60 bucks)which should sky rocket my compression up from 8.8 up to like 10.5.1( might be off by a little, but very close) the motor runs strong with a hell of a pull once it passes 3800 rpm, and burn outs never felt so easy.125hp stock the newpower is around 155-165hp not official but compared to the cars i've been beating it's a good guestamation, and I'm pretty good when it comes to guestamaions-my next plan is a cam gear($65 bucks),so i can adjust the cam since I shaved the head (good for about 3-8 hp), next would be an Intake Manifold from a 92-93 ex/se accord($50 bucks)which has 8 runners on it (good for about 8-15hp) , 92-93 ex/se cam, and ecu($100) good for about (4-9hp)- and a Prelude throttle body($75) (good for about 2-5hp at high rpm)-I should expext at least a good 17- 28hp increase in stock parts alone
Now after all that is done, I plan to do the simple bolt ons like- cold air intake($50) (good for5-10hp) - header plus full cat-back and free flow cat($325) ( good for around 12-20hp)
Then a good set of ground wires($25), 8.5mm spark plug wires, platinum 4 spark plugs,optima batery ($220)(good for around 3-10hp)
With a little tweek'n i'm sure I could hit the 200hp
It would be nice to hear some feed back or any usefull information, let me kno what you guys think

Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: CRAZY PROJECT

Hey, not bad. Not bad at all. I take it you did all the work yourself (minus the machine work probably)? Sounds like a pretty sweet creation. If you have any pictures to post, both car and engine, I would love to see them!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it- and yes I did all the work myself (minus the machine work) I'll have pictures soon, but as for now I'm going for complete sleeper, I even have the stock 14's that the car came with, I'll take it to the track in about 2 weeks just to see what it runs, Also I have a question- Would you know what the weight of my car is ?? its a 93 lx 4-door

Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM

MSN shows 2932 lbsfor a 93 LX Sedan Automatic

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...&trimid=-1

Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: jaeal

I bought it and stripped it down, pulled the head off and noticed that the ports on the 93 head were HUGE compare to the tiny ones on the 02
............... a 2.2l engine having larger cylinders then a 2.3l engine that has a 1 mm larger bore and 3 mm longer stroke....... unless that engine you had was previously modified i dont have any idea how you could say it was a better block... your losing a little hp and torque based on the fact that the f22 engine is a slightly smaller engine.... sorry, that kinda goes against the basic engine design

check this out.... you cant really expect that you will get 200whp for what you are wanting to do
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1495684

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 AM

Cool project...I wish I had the time and know-how...and patience...to undertake somethin like that. Update your progress!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:36 PM

a 2.2l engine having larger cylinders then a 2.3l engine that has a 1 mm larger bore and 3 mm longer stroke....... unless that engine you had was previously modified i dont have any idea how you could say it was a better block... your losing a little hp and torque based on the fact that the f22 engine is a slightly smaller engine.... sorry, that kinda goes against the basic engine design
The F22 head has larger intake and exhaust ports than the F23 V-TEC head. The F23 bottom end is completely stock.How could you ever lose power with a better head and a higher displacement? Even tho the F23 had V-tec( which is only really good for like less than 5hp) it's tiny port design dosent allow as much air to flow in to the combustion camber, plus the F22's intake manifold's runner's and ports are by far bigger than the F23 VTEC, plus the head in the F22 is shaved so even more air gets sucked in-- lets say an F23 makes about 150hp,obviously if you had a better flowing head and intake manifold in addition to the shaved head, I'm adding around 15-20hp- on stock parts it would at least bump it up to 165-170hp-- 30hp shy from 200hp--which can be easily found with other stock and aftermarket parts. Yea it goes against Honda's design, but pretty much on point with mine and its running, working, faster, and more powerfull than all F22's I've raced (except boosted F22's)

Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 AM

hehe, sorry, looked back at your post/fully read what i quoted and yeah, i blocked out the head part sorry / but i dont think youre going to gain 15/20hp just from larger ports on the head maybe after you have the intake/tb/intake manifold but just off the head im kinda iffy. find someone to dyno the car for free from that ^_^ prove me wrong so i have an excuse to take off my f23 head and port it lol

but honestly look at that one post i linked..... you may find some interesting and helpful information

once again, sorry about my confusion

and when you talk about the intake manifold youre putting on is it a prelude one with IB's?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 PM

well the intake runners's on the intake manifold are a lot bigger than the F23-- You should go to a parts store and look at the intake and exhuast gaskets and comepare them to yours and see the diffrence, plus I shaved the head 40 thousandths of an inch-- compression around 10.5.1 and larger intake and exhaust should be good for at least 15-20-- I'll get it dynoed when I get the ex cam and intake manifold, so I could see what those stock parts would do.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 PM

I'm always amazed at how cheap engine machine work is.... I recall reading an article a year or two back about them port/polish/sleeve and a few other misc. little tasks and it was only like $1100.00 for all the work/parts and made one nice little n/a engine...

Quick Reply: CRAZY PROJECT